If you are a flamboyant person who would like to try different colour nail polish to give a refreshing look in personality. Then you must have been using mostly regular nail polish removers for wiping away your nail paints for a long time? But before using any regular nail polish remover you must know that all of them contains a very harmful chemical named, Acetone which affects our health seriously.
Whether you want to protect your health from the Acetone-based nail colour removers or running out of your regular nail polish remover, there are several cheap and risk-free alternatives to nail risk-free remover which you can give it a try to remove your nail polish effortlessly. So here are some of the easy ways given that you can try at your home to remove your nail paint without using a commercial nail polish remover.
Let’s how to make nail polish remover at home without any commercial one
Alternatives To Nail Polish Remover chemicals
Lemon is known as a natural ingredient which is not only used for removing nail paints but is also used in manicure. To remove nail polish naturally from your nails you have to simply rub a slice of lemon on your nails.
All you need is-
- A thin slice of lemon
- Lukewarm soap water
Removing nail polish with lemon
- In lukewarm soapy water, you need to soak your fingers with nail polish in it for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now you can use a lemon slice as a substitute for commercial nail polish remover which will help in making your nail polish soft so that you can remove it very easily without giving much effort.
- You can use a nail oil or any moisturiser for keeping your nails healthy and soft after removing your nail paints.
Since vinegar is an acidic ingredient so it can easily break down your nail polish and remove it effortlessly. Vinegar is very easily available in local supermarkets or our homes. This is also a very cheap, easy and risk-free alternative to remove your nail polish.
All you need is-
- A cotton ball
- Lemon juice
Removing nail polish with vinegar
- Before removing your nail polish from your nails you need to soak your nails in lukewarm water for at least 10 to 15 minutes. By following this method you can quickly remove the nail polish from your nails very easily if you are in a hurry.
- You need to mix equal parts of vinegar and lemon juice in a bowl
- After stirring the mixture you need to soak a cotton ball in this mixture and then press that on your fingernails and then hold it for at least 10 to 20 seconds. This process helps the nail enamel to get dissolved and it clearly removes all the nail polish remnants.
- You can wipe off your nail polish with a cotton ball which might take a little time to clear your nails if you have applied several coats of nail paint on your nails.
- After removing your nail polish you can apply nail oil or any moisturiser afterwards to keep your nails soft and shiny.
Rubbing alcohol is an excellent substitute for those who don’t have vinegar or lemon juice to prepare nail polish remover at home. Using alcohol is less harsh and much more natural than any other commercial nail paint removers found in the market. Since alcohol contains antibacterial properties so using alcohol as a nail polish remover can cure any nail infections and it is beneficial for the ones who are having any kind of nail problems.
All you need is-
- Lukewarm water in a bowl
- Rubbing alcohol
- A cotton ball
How to remove nail polish with alcohol at home
- For some time you need to soak your nails in a bowl containing lukewarm water.
- Use a cotton ball and soaking it in alcohol you can wipe off your nail polish very easily and quickly.
- For keeping your nails healthy and shiny you can use cuticle oil or any moisturizer after removing your nail polish.
If you are running out of all the other options given above you can use deodorants to remove your nail polish. In most of the commercial nail paint removers, Acetone acts as the main ingredient which sometimes becomes Harsh on the skin. You do not need to worry because there are some solvents in deodorants which helps in removing your nail polish amazingly.
All you need is-
- A cotton ball
- A Deodorant spray
How to remove nail polish with Deodorant
- Before applying this method you must make sure that you are not allergic to any spray deodorants.
- All you need to do is to just grab your deodorant bottle and then keep the nozzle at a close distance and then spray it all over your nails to remove your nail polish.
- After spraying deodorants all over your nails you need to rub it off immediately by using a cotton ball. Deodorant contains Acetone and alcoholic substance which helps in cleaning your nails quickly and remove your nail paint very easily.
- This process is not only risk-free and cheap but also hassle-free.
You can also use a hand sanitizer which is another DIY hack to remove nail paints from your nails. You can easily find it in your home so you can try this method anytime you want.
All you need is –
- Hand sanitizer
- Cotton ball
How to remove nail polish with hand sanitizer:
- Try to squeeze a little bit of hand sanitizer on your nails and then immediately rub it off using a cotton ball over them.
- Repeat this process until your nail polish gets removed but you should not use a lot of sanitizer in this process.
- Once you remove your nail polish completely then thoroughly wash your hands because it might get dry on your nails which will make you feel uncomfortable.
Old Nail Polish
Though one might get surprised to hear that nail polish can remove nail polish but it actually works. Nail polishes naturally get dried due to the evaporation of solvents which basically helps in keeping the liquid of that nail polish soft and applying that nail polish on nails makes it very easy to remove it.
All you need is-
- An old nail polish which you no longer use
- Kitchen paper towel
Removing nail polish by using a nail polish
- First, you need to apply nail polish on your nails and you must make sure that it does not dry out quickly
- After this use a paper towel to rub off that nail paint immediately
- It might take a few tries to completely remove your nail polish.
Some homemade nail polish removers
Hot water method
This is a great method for removing your nail polish when you are running out of your nail polish remover you need to soak your hands in the hot water for at least 15 minutes and then scrape the nail polish when it gets soft.
The chemicals which help in removing nail polish are also present in hair sprays. Spray some hairspray on your nails and then wipe it off immediately to remove your nail paint.
Vinegar and citric fruits
The solution made with vinegar and citric fruits help in removing nail paints by breaking down the acidic content present in the nail polish and easily wipes it off.
- You need to mix any citric fruits like lemon, Orange or lime with vinegar.
- Then wipe off your painted nails with a cotton ball and that was dipped in this solution.
- You also required to scrape your nails a little bit to make your nails clean after using this solution.
You can also use toothpaste for removing or nail polish which is the risk-free and easy way.
How to remove nail polish with toothpaste
- You need to spread toothpaste on your nails and then try scraping it with a Nail File.
- Continuously scrap your nails till your nail polish comes out and your nails will become clean.
Using hydrogen peroxide to remove your nail polish is also an amazing substitute to your nail polish remover.
How to remove nail polish using Hydrogen peroxide
- In a solution of hydrogen peroxide and hot water soak your nails for at least 10 minutes.
- By using a regular nail file you need to scrap on your nail polish to remove it.
You can quickly remove your nail polish from your nails by using a paint thinner in spite of using any nail polish remover.
- You can apply a few drops of this paint thinner on your nails
- Then rub your nails with a clean cotton ball to remove your nail paint.
Acetone and glycerine
In the commercial nail polish removers, Acetone is the main ingredient but it can be harsh and drying sometimes. While making our own nail polish remover, we can make it less harsh by adding some glycerine to the solution. Glycerine and Acetone are cheap ingredients which you can buy from your nearby shop.
- To prepare the remover you need to take 200 ml of acetone and add to it a tablespoon of glycerine.
- Since glycerine doesn’t mix with Acetone so you need to add some water to make this solution uniform and then you need to stir it well.
- Now your homemade nail polish remover is ready that will make your nails gentle and soft while removing your nail paint.
While using DIY nail polish remover one must follow the given tips and precautions
These methods are basically acting as a substitute to those commercial nail polish removers. The key ingredient, Acetone which is present in nail polish removers is not present in them and so these methods might not effectively remove your nail polish like the commercial ones.
While using nail polish to wipe off your nail polish you must make sure that the nail polish doesn’t get dried very soon. Because it is best to rub it off when it remains wet as you might find it more difficult to wipe it off once it gets dried up.
After removing the nail polish do not forget to apply cuticle oil or any other moisturizer to keep your nails healthy and soft.
Tips you need follow to while removing your nail polish
- For Removing any kind of spray that was used in your nail paint you need to soak your hand in soapy water for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- You must avoid using cotton for removing your nail polish because that might stick to your nails. Instead of using cotton you can use a soft muslin cloth which is a much better option.
- You can use a nail polish of any colour which you do not use anymore for removing your old nail polish.
- The deodorants which you use for removing nail polish must be chosen very carefully because the normal ones do not give effective results. Try to avoid using deodorant which causes allergy.
- Using an old nail paint might damage the texture of your nails because it requires scraping.
- You can also use a regular nail file for removing your nail polish.
- Do not forget to keep your nails hydrated and moisturized after you remove the nail polish from your nails
Other Alternatives to read:
- 6 Alternative food for pet fishes over commercial/ready- made
- 10 Best Diary Milk alternatives for toddlers
- 11 Best Vegan And Vegetarian Alternatives to Chicken for Protein
- 15 Best Alternatives to Heavy Cream