VLC (VideoLAN Client) is a versatile media player software which is free and open source to use. It is available almost for all kind operating system from Linux Window, MacOS to Android, iPhone or OpenBSD; where you can install it easily.
It not only plays the videos but also music including streaming videos from a local or online resource such as YouTube. VLC supports a variety of media formats and streaming media protocols. However, on Windows and other operating systems it is easy to install but when it comes to Linux users still struggle because of command interface. Here in this article, we let you know how to install the VLC media player on RedHat and its based OS such as Centos and Fedora.
Install VLC Media player on RHEL 7/CentOS 7/Scientific Linux (SL 7)
- Go to your Red Hat or CentOS or other RHEL based Linux OS.
- If you have a Graphical interface search Terminal and open it to run the command.
- Switch to root user using the below command.
- Install Epel-release repository refer the below command.
yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
- Install RPM Fusion for EL7
yum install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
- Download and install the VLC Media player
yum -y install vlc
- To check the VLC installation you can use the below command
rpm -qa | grep vlc
- Now get back to the standard use of your RedHat and Centos because from the terminal you can’t run the VLC as root user due to security purpose. Once you switch the user just type:
- In case you are using server version then for Minimal/server use the below command to install the VLC core otherwise just leave this step.
yum install vlc-core (for minimal headless/server install)
- Even after installation, you access the VLC form start menu. Just go there on the start menu and search for VLC.
Install VLC Media player on RHEL 6/CentOS 6
All the above steps would be same except the command to install the Epel and rpmfusion. If you are using the RedHat 6 or CentOS 6 version then use the below-given commands to install the VLC media player
su yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-6.noarch.rpm yum install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-6.noarch.rpm yum -y install vlc
To install VLC on Fedora 22, 23, 24,25,26,27,28 and 29
The commands are:
Login as root:
In case you have just installed the Fedora and don’t have set the password then use the below command to set it
sudo passwd root
or just emulate your current user to root by this command
Now download and install the RPMfusion
dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
Download and Install VLC Media player on Fedora
dnf install vlc
In this way, you can easily install the VLC media player Redhat Linux or CentOSor Fedora using command terminal.
Other Resources to see:
- How to Play and download YouTube videos on VLC Media Player
- How to install VLC media player for Ubuntu or Linux Mint via the command terminal
- Convert media files with VLC Media Player to Mp4, Mp3, Mkv & more
- How to change the language of an interface in VLC player
- Use VLC Media Player as a free screen recording tool