When arranging folders or finding large files and empty folders, you first need to know the size of the space occupied by each folder. The Windows Explorer can show the size of individual files appear but not for folders. So, if you want to rearrange all the folders then one has to look properties of each folder manually before moving them. It is really a time-consuming task. In such situations, one can use third-party disk space analyzer tools those not only show the folder size but also help in removing the duplicate files; by analyzing the size of the folders. The mentioned tools here ca work on Windows server, Windows 10, 7 & 8. So, here are few methods to show folder size in Windows Explorer.
How to find the largest size of the folder in Windows 10?
In fact, in the Windows 10 system, all kinds of media files have been automatically classified and counted by the system, but when we are sorting folders or looking for large files and empty folders, we first need to know the size of each folder. But until Windows 10’s File Explorer, even if you enable the most detailed “details” layout to view the file list, you can’t directly see the size of the folder.
- Go on Windows 10 Start button.
- Click on the Gear icon.
- You need to go through the System settings.
- From the right side of the System settings, click on the Storage.
- All the drives installed on the System will show.
- One can view the space occupied by each partition and various files.
- To view the size of the main folders can be seen here, however, the system cannot determine the media characteristics.
How to find large folders in Windows 10/8/7 using WizTree
Although Windows 10 has the ability to view the classified media capacity, the Explorer does not intuitively see that the space occupied by each folder is a shortboard. To this end, you can use WizTree to solve the problem of direct capacity display. If you are looking for Windows 10 folder size tool then you should give it a try.
WizTree is a hard drive disk space analyser software which is free to download. It is similar to WinDirSta, however with some improvements and fast speed. WizTree available for both 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10. Here is the link to Download this software.
- Download the WizTree free software. It is available in both installer and portable version.
- After running the WizTree software, select the partition to be displayed from the drive list
- Click the “Scan” button to scan local or network drives.
- After a short quick scan, the software will give the amount of space occupied by each folder in the current partition.
- Arrange from large to small, and give a detailed list of the number of files, the number of folders, file attributes, etc.
Extension, File Type, Size, Allocation, Number of files, Drives with number files and their percent of parents. Also the beautiful colour rectangular to know the file and folder sizes just on a hover of glance.
Since WizTree software supports the most widely used NTFS file system and directly reads the MFT file of the hard disk, the entire scanning and indexing process is very fast. MFT plays an important role in NTFS volumes, which has a great impact on its performance.
When the system allocates space and reads and writes disks, it frequently accesses MFT. Therefore, MFT has a crucial impact on the performance of NTFS volumes. Since the MFT can be used continuously to access all other files on the disk, it will also gradually become fragmented, resulting in longer disk access times. Developers of the NTFS file system reserve a specific area near the MFT to reduce Fragments in the MFT.
WizTree software not only finds the largest folder that is on the hard disk but also easily obtains a large list of files that occupy the most hard disk space.
Graphical Visual Treemap allows you to spot large files and large collections of smaller files at a glance. Simply click on any button and the disk files will be given right away (including the hidden files). If a large file in the list is a junk file, you can directly select it and press Shift+Del to delete it completely.
The shortcut menu commands to quickly open WizTree can also be added to the Explorer via the corresponding command in the Options menu.
Glary Utilities Free: Pie chart shows the folder capacity is more expressive
If the above method of displaying the proportion of the disk or the disk occupied by the file is not intuitive enough, then we can use the Glary Utilities to solve the graphical capacity display, making the disk ratio display more intuitive. It is available in both Free and Pro versions. Here we are using Free version which is enough to find out the folder size individually including Pir chart. Here is the link to download this software: Glary Utilities
- On the main interface of Glary Utilities Free, choose Advanced Tools→Disk Space→Folder Size Analysis.
- Next, the file folder analyzer will be launched, select the disk partition to be analyzed and confirm.
- In the analysis results window, the space ratio of files and folders is given.
- In the percentage part, not only the digital display, but also the visual display of the graphic, and the pie chart display.
- If you want to display large files, simply switch to Show All Files from the Files and Folders drop-down list to display a list of files from largest to smallest.
- In addition, you can also filter and display the video, audio, image, compressed file and other types through the file list title bar and sort them.
3. TreeSize tool for Windows
Treesize on Windows 10 will almost like WizTree but in a more native way. It can analyze terabytes very fast. It is free software that can be started directly from the context menu of Windows 10,7 or 8 to analyze a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder
TreeSize Free can even scan smartphones and mobile devices; scans network drives, synced cloud shares and also works on touchscreen devices running on Windows 10 or 8 by providing touch friendly graphical interface. TreeSize Professional Disk Space Management is available for a better view of folders and files. Older versions for Windows XP, 2000 & Me are also available.
4. With the help of the FolderSize Explorer tool
If you feel that using the software to view the folder’s capacity is cumbersome, you can also install the FolderSize Explorer tool, which will automatically show folder capacity list window when you launch the Explorer and access the drive or folder. This windows 10 folder size tool also shows the capacity of the currently open drive at the bottom.