Although we can show hidden files using the keyboard shortcut and GUI interface, however, if you are not a fan of Windows graphical file explorer and prefer to use a command line, then using that unhide files is possible as well.
Most of the time, especially those who are into system security and development they use the command line interface to go through various files and directories. And to get reconnaissance of all files and folders, we need to unhide hidden files. This can be very helpful in various situations such as while having some virus that makes duplicate copies and hides them so that users could not see them with default settings of Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
Command to unhide files & folder on Windows 10 using CMD
- Open Command Prompt (CMD).
- Go to the folder/directory where you want to unhide all hidden files.
- After that type
attrib -H -S
-H for Hidden and -S for System attribute set.
- To show all hidden subfolders recursively and along with directories themselves then use
attrib -H -S /S /D
/S for all Sub-folders and /D for Directories.
- In case you want to remove hidden settings from all the system folders and files available inside a Drive, use
attrib -H -S J:\*.* /S /D
- Note: In the above command J: is the Drive letter and in that Drive, we want to unhide all files and folders.
- To unhide files from some particular folder, the command will be
attrib -H -S J:\folder-path\*.* /S /D
- Replace J:\folder-path with your drive and folder path.
If you are not a command-line person, use Graphical File Explorer to show hidden folders in Windows 10 or Keyboard shortcuts.
- How to access Windows system files from Ubuntu subsystem Linux terminal
- How to hide or unhide rows & columns in Excel
- Oneplus hidden space: How to Hide or Unhide Apps
How to Enable Auto-Indent for Python Code in Notepad++
Internet Web Cookies: A Guide to Personalized Privacy Online
How to install and use the same WhatsApp account on up to 4 smartphones
How to calculate the standard deviation & mean of data in Google Sheets
10 Best Featrures of Google Docs to increase productivity
How to play the hidden game on Opera GX web browser for PC
1 thought on “How to show hidden files in Windows 10 using Command prompt ”
thank you for sharing a great post.