From the last press conference of Apple, the rumours have been proved to be true as Apple declared the date for Apple TV Plus launch which is on November 1st, 2019. It is going to a moment of joy for the Apple product lovers as Apple is not just launching Apple TV Plus but also featuring a couple of new exclusive TV shows on their channel from the same date.
Apple TV Plus comes with a single subscription option which is $4.99/month. The standard subscription includes family access facility so one connection is enough for a single-family. Also, Apple throws an offer for the new Apple iPhone, iPad and Apple TV buyers, who will receive a free Apple TV Plus subscription for one year.
Some of the shows on Apple TV Plus have already been gaining attentions even before the trailer launches. As Apple TV is considered as a luxurious and prestigious product, Apple spends a lot on their new shows. It is rumoured that Apple spends around $15 million dollars per episode on the shows called “See” and “The Morning Show”. So, already the stakes are quite high for apple as well as the exceptions too.
There are in total Nine shows to be featured on Apple TV Plus, which are The Morning Show, See, For All Mankind, Dickinson, Helpsters, Snoopy in Space, Ghostwriter, The Elephant Queen and an unnamed show from Oprah Winfrey. Here is a little overview of the upcoming shows according to the news and trailers underneath.
- The Morning Show – It is a show about the Politics of a Morning TV show, the cast includes stars like Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carell etc.
- See – This series is bringing in a lot of attention towards it, the story is about a group of human who is trying to survive in a world, where humans have lost eyesight. This show stars Jason Momoa from the Aquaman and Game of Thrones.
- For All Mankind – From the production house of Battlestar Galactica and from producer Ronald D. Moore, this one is a show about Sci-fi based alternative reality, where Global space race never ended.
- Dickinson – This one is a dramatic show about a poet known as Emily Dickinson, which starts Hailee Stanfield as the protagonist.
- The Elephant Queen – It is a documentary show about the threat of Elephant extinction from Earth.
- Helpsters – This show features a fictional reality; where Cody (protagonist) and a team of vibrant monsters help people to solve various kind of problems. This show comes from the creator team of Sesame Street.
- Snoopy in Space – This one is an animated cartoonish show, which comes from the Peanuts Worldwide and DHX Media. In this show, a Dog follows his dreams to be an astronaut and faces many adventures to be so, and that’s what the show is all about.
- Ghostwriter – This one is a remake of a popular show in the same name. In this show, four kids teamed up and releases many fictional characters from their books. This is just a reinvention of the original series.
- The ninth show, which is based on stories of Oprah Winfrey’s book does not have a name yet, even not any information has been given by Apple too. Though it is rumoured that the trailer would be released in September. Though it is being considered as a new type of project from the Oprah Winfrey, who is creating a vibrant, global book club and community of compelling authors, where even other projects and stories can connect with the Oprah project (just like an Open source project); according to Apple.
- Truth to be Told: Every Truth has a consequence.
- Servent: Doubt What you Believe- From M. Night Shyamalam
Other Reports on new Releases
Most of the Apple TV Plus series will be premiering with three episodes, and one new episode will keep coming up each week. Though some of the shows will be available as a complete season at once also. Apple also confirmed that there will be at least one new series will be announced every month, but the expected time for those is not clear. Even which series will be available as a whole season is not confirmed, but some series will definitely be there as a whole package and some will be available just like a TV soap i.e. one episode each week.
Some of the upcoming shows in by next year are Servant, Truth Be Told, Little America etc. Apple has announced some feature films also for Apple TV Plus which are Hala, and The Banker.
Future of Apple TV Plus
It is already cleared that Apple is committed to original contents purely. Apple already increased its content creation budget from $1 billion to more than $6 billion reportedly; so Apple is damn serious about the TV series creation business as well as being original and unique. The figure which is Apple considering to spend on new contents is the same figure which took Netflix many years to reach, especially after when they started investing in original contents.
Apple is about to spend approximately 25 percent of Disney’s whole content creation budget, so one can imagine how big this business is going to be. According to reports Apple set its services division a target to reach $50 billion in sales by the end of 2020, and that is why they come up with the idea of subscriptions.
Though according to the market in the TV series contents, Apple really needs to invest even more than Netflix, Disney, and other video content creation giants like Warner-Brothers Media, NBC Universal etc. Apple needs to invest pretty heavily in original content only if they want to rule this market after 10 years, and need to do it now.
Apple hasn’t announced any detail plans to invest in licensed content, just like Amazon has done in their early stage, neither Apple has a pre-owned library of popular titles like Disney Plus or Warner-Brother Media had.
So, if Apple about to become the next giant in the Video streaming business and want to keep gaining subscribers, and want to build its own loyal viewer base, fan base etc. then devoting to a huge amount of funds to create original and unique contents is the thing to be a focus on. Not remaking or reinventing old school shows, creating something classic is the only way to do it, as in the same business Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus are already at a giant stage with their great number of original contents.