If speed is the most important aspect for you and you are looking for a VPN connection to encrypt your traffic and go anyone online without compromising on speed, Kaspersky Secure Connection is not the perfect cup of tea for you. However, if your main intention of using a secure connection or VPN service you can go for it.
VPN services are quite common nowadays it is used by a number of users worldwide to encrypt their online traffic and become anonymous on the internet. If you think, your internet service provider keeps an eye on what you are suffering, downloading, or you frequently use unsecured Wi-Fi networks, you can certainly use a VPN service to keep yourself safe and maintain your privacy on the internet.
Talking about the availability of VPN services, you can find a number of VPN services available out there, where some are free and others are paid. Free VPN services come with significant limitations and you can get over them by going for a paid VPN, or by getting a premium subscription of the free VPN service that you are using.
Talking about VPN services, they are also used to get over geo-restrictions, and access contents that are not available for your country. All said, I am using the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service a few weeks now, and have mixed reactions about it. So just like every other time, I am here with a small review of the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN, so that you can get an idea of whether it is the best VPN service for you or not.
So, I will start the review with the features of Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN, and then I will talk about the pros and cons, and I will finally talk about the bottom line of the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN for you, to make your decision in an even better way.
Kaspersky VPN Review
Let’s have a look at the features of Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service.
- The first thing most users look for, why choosing a VPN service is after they find the number of locations available to connect. The Russian VPN service provider i.e. Kaspersky Secure Connection offers 18 locations in different countries across the world if you are using the premium version.
- Talking about the protocols, Kaspersky Secure Connection has support for OpenVPN, L2TP or IPsec, PPTP, IKEv2 and SSTP protocols. Talking about security, all your traffic is encrypted with AES 256-bit encryption.
- Its VPN service is available for most major platforms, which includes Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. Thus, it pretty much covers all the major platforms, and you will hardly use any other platform other than those platforms Kaspersky Secure Connection is available for.
- With a single Kaspersky Secure Connection license, you can use it on up to five devices. This will include your computers and laptops, and mobile devices that are logged in with your same Kaspersky account.
So, those are the features of Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN. That’s pretty much you should know about the features of Kaspersky Secure Connection before you get a license.
Rs. 350 per month and Rs. 2,000 per year: 5 devices with a single license. No bandwidth and speed limit.
Free version: 200 MB per day and 300 MB per day with the Kaspersky account. No speed limit, and a limit on the number of devices.
You can get the free version of this VPN service from here.
Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN Pros and Cons
Now, let’s find out the pros of Kaspersky Secure Connection.
- It is very easy to set up. Simply download the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN app or client on your devices, and get started with the connection. You just need to log in with your Kaspersky account, and subsequently, the active subscription will automatically apply for you to use the connection. You don’t need any expert knowledge for setting up Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service at all.
- I talked about in the features section, we can run on up to five devices with a single license. So, if you are using multiple devices, you can use Kaspersky Secure Connection to encrypt traffic on all the devices that you have access to.
- One of the great things of this Freemium VPN service, it has support for a number of VPN protocols out there, which is great.
- It will automatically nudge you on your PC or smartphone to connect to the internet using Kaspersky Secure Connection if you are connected through some unsecured Wi-Fi network, lest you forget to connect. This can be very useful if you want to safeguard your privacy, as unsecured Wi-Fi networks can sometimes be used as traps to steal your sensitive data.
- Even though premium VPN service of this tool offers unlimited data and the best possible bandwidth with the premium version of Kaspersky, you can still have a look at the amount of bandwidth that has been used by you in a unified dashboard.
The dashboard will show you the total bandwidth usage on multiple devices. You can even see hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly bandwidth usage of Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service.
- Talking about, how quickly the connections take place, the connections are established on Kaspersky Secure Connection pretty fast and I didn’t find any kind of network drop issues on using this VPN service.
However, depending upon which server of Kaspersky you are connecting to, and depending upon the physical location of the server connection might take some time but not more than a few seconds.
- If you are looking for a decent VPN service, Kaspersky Secure Connection can be the perfect deal for you, as you can get a monthly subscription at Rs. 350 per month, and if you go for the yearly plan, you can get it at Rs. 2,000 a year.
Thus, it is much cheaper than most other VPN services that you will come across.
- If you allow Kaspersky VPN service to choose the server automatically, it will choose a new server every single day, so that you enjoy more anonymity. If you connect to its VPN service from multiple devices at the same time each of them will get connected to different servers, which is also cool.
You can always disconnect from the existing connection, and choose a specific server at a different location every single time.
So, those were the pros of using the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service.
Now, let’s have a look at the corners of the freemium VPN service.
- Talking about the speed and latency of the connections, Kaspersky is not good at offering speeds and lower latencies. With the VPN collection, I got a maximum speed of 40 Mbps of download speed and upload speed was almost 16 to 20 Mbps, which is OK. Getting 40 Mbps on a 60 Mbps connection isn’t something that I would expect from a VPN service.
The latency or ping time without any VPN service ranges between 1 to 5 ms, however, it was around 150 to 200 ms, while using the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service. Some servers even offered very low speeds at around 10 to 12 Mbps download speeds.
- The first one is without the VPN connection, and the second one is with the Kaspersky VPN connection enabled.
- If you don’t want to encrypt the complete traffic from your Windows computer, I wish there was Chrome addon so that the traffic that is sent and received from the Chrome web browser is only encrypted. But that isn’t the case, I wish the company should have provided an addon for Chrome and other popular web browsers out there.
- If you are looking for a VPN service, which would unlock Netflix for different countries, or in case Netflix is not available in your country, this freemium VPN is not for you. I attempted to use Netflix from different Kaspersky Secure Connection servers, but all the attempts were futile.
- I didn’t find enough transparency about how Kaspersky Secure Connection treats user data. But one thing I am sure is, they will process user data for different purposes.
- Talking about customer service, I would say it is complicated if not pathetic. I contacted them for a problem that I was facing, and they told me to contact the sales team to get a solution to my problem and that is handled by a different company at least in India. I called the sales customer care multiple times on the first working day of the week, but no executive who was available to hear my problems.
The customer care is also not available 24×7. Besides calling, I also mailed my problems on Saturday, and they fixed it on Monday, and thus, the customer care might not be that bad, but not transparent about which team will deal with what problems!
So, those were the cons. I wish, the problems are resolved soon.
Kaspersky VPN service review verdict:
If speed is the most important aspect for you and you are looking for a VPN connection to encrypt your traffic and go anyone online without compromising on speed, Kaspersky Secure Connection is not the perfect cup of tea for you.
However, if the internet connection that you are using is not very fast, and it offers around 16 to 24 or 40 Mbps, it can be a good deal for you, as you will hardly find any drop in speeds. Besides that, as the latency is significant on the Kaspersky Secure Connection VPN service, it will not be a good option for playing multiplayer games as well.
Furthermore, if your main intention of using a secure connection or VPN service is to encrypt your traffic, and a little drop in speeds will not be a deal-breaker for you, at this price it can be the best VPN service on what you can bet. At this price, what Kaspersky is offering is undeniably a good value for money, to say the least.
So, that was all about the Kaspersky Secure Connection review. Do you have any other questions or something else to say? Feel free to comment on the same below.