In today’s fast-paced digital world, flexibility and convenience in computing are paramount. Limited ports and displays on a laptop can often hamper the productivity of a person with multitasking jobs. So, instead of buying multiple computing devices, you can harness the power of your single devices using docking stations such as the Minisopuru 13-in-1 DisplayLink Laptop Docking Station (DS808). Well, in this article, we are going to talk about this Minisopuru product; however, before that, let’s know what exactly a laptop docking station is and its benefits.
What is a laptop docking station?
A laptop docking station, which is often known as a “dock” or “docking station,” is a piece of hardware designed to expand the connectivity, functionality, and support for multiple displays of a laptop. In size, these docks are quite small and serve as hubs or port replicators, so that a user can connect a wide range of peripherals and accessories using just a single cable connection with a laptop.
Docks are generally used by professionals or offices where they want to use multiple displays and a desktop-like experience from a laptop without investing in new devices.
Key features and functions of a laptop docking station include:
- Expanded Ports: As we know, laptops are limited in ports, so one of the best jobs done by the docking stations is to provide additional ports and connectors that may not be present on the laptop itself. Common ports include USB, USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, Ethernet (RJ45), audio jacks, and more. You can use them to connect external displays, keyboards, mice, printers, external hard drives, and other devices easily.
- Charging: If you are using docking stations, then you won’t need any external chargers for your smartphones or even Macbooks and laptops with the USB-C charging port while they are connected, reducing the need for a separate power adapter.
- Multiple Displays: Most of the docking stations support multiple external monitors, allowing users to extend their laptop’s screen to get the benefit of a dual-monitor setup.
- Network Connectivity: Ethernet ports on docking stations provide a stable and often faster internet connection compared to Wi-Fi, which can be especially useful in corporate environments.
- Audio Support: Docking stations may have audio output ports for speakers or headphones, improving the laptop’s audio capabilities.
- Data Transfer: Faster data transfer speeds may be possible through the docking station’s USB ports, which can be useful for transferring large files quickly.
- Ease of Use: Typically, docking stations are “plug-and-play,” so users don’t need to perform any special configuration or setup to connect their laptops.
- Desktop Experience: Docking stations offer mobility and help users set up their desktop-like environment anywhere when they are at their desks.
- Productivity and Convenience: The convenience of a docking station can significantly enhance productivity, as users don’t need to repeatedly plug and unplug various peripherals when moving their laptops.
Minisopuru 13-in-1 Triple Display Port Docking Station Review
Let’s come back to our article topic, which is reviewing the Minisopuru 13-in-1, a triple-display docking station. It is a simple dock with advanced connectivity options. In this review, we will look at its specifications and design and see if it lives up to its promises.
Design and Build Quality
The Minisopuru DS808 boasts a minimalistic yet elegant design that seamlessly blends with any workspace. Its brushed aluminum finish will not only extend its life and durability but even easily blend with your MacBook. Its compact form factor (3.15 x 6.61 x 1.06 inches) will not take up much space on your desk, making it ideal for both home and office setups. It weighs 520 grams.
The top side of the Ds808 Dock is embossed with only the Minisopuru logo to give it a clean look and, at the same time, a brand feel. The bottom side is also similar to the top, but instead of the logo, it is fixed with two rubber strips so that it won’t slip on smooth surfaces.
Although the top and bottom of the device are plain, the sides are curved with grooves and small holes, which would immediately draw your attention. Well, this is not only to give a modern look but also because the manufacturer strategically placed the heat sinks on either side, ensuring the heat generated by the internal component of the docking station can efficiently dissipate. Hence, it prevents the device from getting overheated.
Moreover, the lock hole is also there to protect the dock station from theft, especially in co-working spaces.
The overall build quality is impressive, giving you confidence in its longevity.
In the box of the Minisopuru Ds808, you will find the following items:
- Minisopuru Displaylink dock
- 1*36W DC power adapter
- 1 USB-C to USB-C host cable,
- 1 USB-C to USB-A converter,
- 1 manual and After-sales card
Ports, Connectivity and Compatibility
Talking about the port placements, which are extremely important in docking stations. MiniSopuru not only offers an impressive range of ports in a balanced way, but their placement is also quite accurate. The front side holds most of the USB ports: you will find 2 x 5Gbps USB Type-A 3.2 Gen 1 (only data), 1 x 5Gbps USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 (only data), along with less fast USB 2.0 (data+charging), and for audio output, a 3.5mm headphone jack. As these are needed to be accessed frequently, that’s why they are placed on the front side.
Whereas, the back side of the Ds808 features some key features of the Minisopura 13-in-1 dock. Our power delivery port (36W 12V 3A) sits on the back side and is used to power up the Dock itself. Just beside that, you will also find a USB-C PD 100W for charging laptops and other devices. Along with them are a USB-C host, an Ethernet port, and two HDMI ports. Additionally, there are DisplayPorts to drive two 4K external displays at 60 Hz.
The Minisopuru 13-in-1 Docking Station offers support for both MacBook models with M1 or M2 chips. However, using DisplayLink’s drive on Mac, you can extend its capabilities to use three external displays with different content.
Furthermore, regarding device compatibility, the Minisopuru docking station is compatible with a range of operating systems, including Windows, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, and Android. But in Linux, only with Ubuntu or its based distros.
This versatility is a significant selling point, especially for those who switch between different operating systems frequently. However, it’s essential to check for specific compatibility with your device before purchasing.
Furthermore, like most Docking Stations, Minisopuru 13-in-1 also offers a hard-wired detachable USB Type-C host cable, but with a braided jacket to increase durability, making the Dock out of the box ready to use.
Apart from the cable, a USB drive with drivers, a USB Type A to C convertor to use laptops or PCs as hosts that are without a USB Type C port, and a power adapter with an EU/US/UK style plug will be inside the box of the device.
The Minisopuru 13-in-1 Docking Station provides a versatile range of ports. The array of 13 additional ports on your current PC or Macbook will ensure outstanding flexibility for any device connected to the dock. Whether it is about having multiple external displays, using legacy peripherals, external USB storage, or any other USB-supported device, you can use them simultaneously.
Ease of Use
Setting up the Minisopuru DS808 is quite a straightforward process, even in Ubuntu Linux, if you have installed this docking station’s driver properly. Although the instructions are given in the manual and available inside the box, we didn’t need them. Everything was plug-and-play; we had connected the 13-in-1 Minisopuru’s USB-C host port with our Windows PC and installed the driver. That’s it. Without spending hours configuring settings, we got our secondary display up and ready to work. You can get the driver either using the USB drive available inside the Dock’s package or by visiting the official website of Minisopuru.
Also, there are a few things you should know: while using laptops with a USB C port, such as the MacBook Pro via the host port, you can use three distinct displays on port HDMI (Display 1), DP (Display 2), and either DP or HDMI (Display 3), with the ability to attain 4K resolution at 60 Hz. However, on the Display 3 section of the Minisopuru USB-C dock, we cannot use both HDMI and DP ports simultaneously; only one of them can be used at a given point in time.
Similarly, laptops that don’t have USB-C ports will rely on USB-A ports to connect to docking stations for multiple displays. In such a scenario, the user would be able to use two displays at a time. This means you can achieve a dual-distinct display environment in this setup. Therefore, when you connect the USB-C host port of the dual-monitor docking station to the USB-A port of your laptop, the HDMI port (Display 1) and the USB-C Power Delivery (PD) will not function.
In terms of performance, the Minisopuru DisplayLink Triple Display Docking Station DS808 shines. If you want to have clean cable arrangements and a tidy setup, no doubt docking stations can prove to be a worthy item to invest in.
While using the Ds808, we were able to use not only multiple displays efficiently but as it claimed, charging laptops and other devices was not an issue; however, we were not able to perform fast charging on all our devices.
Other than that, the data transfer and RJ45 Ethernet connection worked flawlessly. It offers reliable data transfer speeds, ensuring that large files move swiftly between your laptop and connected devices. The video output quality is crisp and clear, and now lags are there while playing games as well. Hence, this docking station is a good choice for those who require high-resolution displays for work or entertainment. Whether you’re streaming 4K content or working on graphic-intensive tasks, the DS808 handles it with ease.
Well, while extending displays and connecting using the docking station with several devices, it did get slightly warm, but it wasn’t a cause for concern thanks to its aluminum body, which dissipates the heat efficiently.
Apart from charging our devices at a fast speed, we didn’t find any problems that made the device not worth buying. Overall, the Minisopuru 13-in-1 Triple-Displayport 4K + Dual-HDMI docking station is a nice choice for anyone seeking multiple ports, impressive power, and a clean and accessible layout to enhance the connectivity experience.
Value for Money
Considering its extensive range of features and compatibility, the DS808 not only offers excellent value for money but also eliminates the need for multiple dongles and adapters, simplifying your workspace and enhancing productivity. On Amazon, it is available at $179.89 or ₹ 16,900 which is quite a competitive price point when compared with other popular brands, hence making it an attractive option for professionals and tech enthusiasts alike.
- Broad compatibility with various operating systems.
- A comprehensive range of ports for multiple connectivity options.
- Solid build quality and sleek design.
- Reliable performance with fast data transfer speeds.
- Support for multiple displays and fast device charging.
- Competitive pricing compared to similar docking stations.
- Compatibility issues may arise with certain devices (always check before purchase).
- All Linux distros are not supported.