Google Maps is one of the best navigation apps out there, offering a number of tools and features for exploring and navigating the world. Google Maps also offers an ‘Immersive View’ feature that allows users to virtually explore a location in a 360-degree panoramic view.
In this article, we will learn everything about Google Maps Immersive View and learn how to use this fascinating feature. Let’s step into the immersive world with Google Maps Immersive View.
What is Google Maps Immersive View?
Immersive View is a Google Maps feature that generates a 3D map of a particular city even before you visit in person. This feature leverages advanced imaging technology and AI and combines billions of Street View and aerial images to create a digital model of the world.
The only drawback of this feature is that it is available in limited locations. It is currently available in New York, LA, San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Florence, and Venice. However, in the future, Google may roll out this service for more locations and cities.
How to Access the Immersive View Feature?
Google Maps’ Immersive View feature is quite easy to access on any device. All you have to do is follow the below-mentioned steps to explore a location in immersive 360-degree detail:
1. Open Google Maps: Access Google Maps on your smartphone. You can also open the official website on your computer.
2. Search for a City: The Immersive View is not available for all locations. You will have to search for a city that supports Immersive Views. Then enter the name of the place or address you want to explore in the search bar. We are taking London as an example here.
3. Enter Street View: Once you’ve located the desired location, you will see landmark icons. These are the spots that typically let you enter Immersive View. Tap on the icon.
4. Hit Immersive View Card: After selecting the icon, you will see the Immersive View card below the Directions button. Tap on the card.
5. Explore your Favorite Location: Once in Immersive View, you can navigate the location by dragging your finger on the screen or using the on-screen controls. Look around in all directions to get a 360-degree view of the surroundings. You can move forward, or backward, and even explore nearby streets.
6. Check Weather and Time of Location: If you want to know about the weather and time of a particular location, select the Time and Weather icon. You can tap on the time to select a different day of the week. You can also slide your finger across the timeline to check how the weather changes across a specific day.
7. Tap a Nearby Location to Enter Businesses: The Immersive View allows you to explore various locations, buildings, and businesses. Not every business will give you this opportunity, but plenty of them do.
Benefits and Features of Immersive View
Google Maps Immersive View offers many features and benefits that enhance the exploration experience for users. Let’s explore some of them:
1. Virtual Travel: With Immersive View, you can virtually travel and explore locations from the comfort of your home. You can travel to historic sites, landmarks, and popular tourist destinations without the need for physical travel.
2. Panoramic Experience: You get an immersive 360-degree view of the location you want to visit. You can check out the streets, landmarks, and natural beauty with stunning clarity.
3. Business and Real Estate Exploration: Real estate agents and business owners can take the most advantage of this feature. They can showcase establishments, properties, and facilities to prospective buyers or customers by providing a virtual tour experience.
4. Pre-planning Trip: Before going on a trip, you can use to preview and familiarize yourself with your destination with the Immersive View feature. This helps you plan your itinerary, identify points of interest, and gain a better understanding of the local area.
5. Contributing Photos: Google Maps combines professional imagery with user-contributed photos to create Immersive View. This collaboration ensures that the virtual experience reflects the diversity and authenticity of different locations.
6. Educational and Cultural Exploration: Immersive View can also enable researchers and students to explore cultural destinations and historical sites. It promotes learning and fosters a deeper understanding of the world.
How to Contribute to Immersive View?
Google Maps Immersive View is a collaborative effort, with users sharing their own photos to enhance the virtual experience of other users. If you too have a collection of 360-degree photos and want to contribute, follow these steps:
1. Click High-quality Photos: Capture high-quality panoramic images using a compatible 360-degree camera or smartphone app.
2. Be Part of Local Guides Program: Join Google’s Local Guides program to contribute photos, reviews, and other valuable information. In return, the users can earn benefits and recognition.
3. Upload Your Photos: Access Google Maps by signing in to your Google account. Click on the location you want to contribute to and select the “Add a photo” option. Choose the photo from your device and upload it.
4. Review and Publish: Once you upload the photo, review it for accuracy and ensure it meets Google’s guidelines. Once approved, your photo will become part of the Immersive View for that location.
The Immersive View on Google Maps offers an exciting way to explore destinations worldwide without even physically traveling. Users can virtually travel, plan trips, and gain the required information about locations in just one click. Immersive View provides a captivating window into different places, whether you’re a traveler, researcher, or simply curious about the world. In short, you can unlock a whole new dimension of exploration with Google Maps Immersive View.