Fedora media writer is a bootable USD drive creator tool developed by the Fedora community. Primarily focus of this bootable media creator is to flash Workstation and server edition of Fedora on Pen drive, however, it also has a custom image option. This allows users to flash other ISO images such as of Ubuntu, CentOS, Windows etc. on USB disks. One can directly download and write ISO files on USB of different Fedora editions or spins such as KDE Plasma, XLCE edition, Cinnamon, MATE, LXDE, SoaS and Fedora Labs project Astronomy, Design suite, Games, Pyhton and more…
However, it officially only tested with for Fedora bootable ISOs images, yet, one can try it for other Linux distros as well.
Install Fedora Media Writer on Ubuntu
Here are the steps to install this bootable media creator for Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04.
- Open command Terminal. The keyboard shortcut key is CTRL +ALT +T
- Install Flatpack, it is a universal Linux package installer that supports a wides range of Linux distros.
sudo apt install flatpak
- If you are are on older Ubuntu operating system such as 16 & 17, then to install FLatpak use the below commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak sudo apt update sudo apt install flatpak
- Command to install Flatpak plugin on Ubuntu
sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
- To install apps from Flatpack, we need to add its Flathub repository
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
- Restart your system.
- Use the below syntax to install Fedora Media writer from Flathub
flatpak install flathub org.fedoraproject.MediaWriter
- Now go to Application and search for it, as you see its icon, click to run it.
flatpak run org.fedoraproject.MediaWriter
For CentOS Linux OS simply type below command:
yum-config-manager --add-repo https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo flatpak install flathub org.fedoraproject.MediaWriter flatpak run org.fedoraproject.MediaWriter
For Windows and macOS simply download Fedora Media Writer executable file and install it as any regular Windows or Mac software. Here is the link.