The internet is full of great videos. Some of them are funny, some are inspiring but they are all online. In the past, it has been difficult to save those files on your computer so that you can watch them whenever you want or share them with family, friends, and colleagues. To do this, you will need an Internet Download Manager. Using this fantastic program you will be able to save all those great videos right onto your hard drive with such ease that you will be amazed. Once installed, anytime you watch a video online, a ‘download this video‘ button will appear.
With just a click, you will be downloading your videos from many of the top video sharing sites like youtube, etc. You won’t find the functionality and ease with anyone else. With IDM, if your internet connection is interrupted, you will be able to continue downloading from where you left off once you get back online as if nothing happened. The program also comes with the ability to grab a site and keep it on your computer. You will be able to download specific files like all the pictures or the whole site for offline viewing.
Internet Download Manager has a built-in download accelerator that will have you downloading five times faster than your normal download speed.
However, there are several alternatives present today that can be used in place of IDM. Though most of the web browsers out there do have multithreaded downloading even so using a dedicated download manager is always handy. It’s far more convenient, offers a better UI, and is usually faster than the web browsers anyway. Let’s have a look at some of the best download managers available for your Windows PC (some of them can be used for macOS and Linux as well) that you can use to download stuff faster-
- Best Download Managers to replace IDM – Internet Download Manager
Best Download Managers to replace IDM – Internet Download Manager
Free Download Manager (FDM)
As the name suggests, it is absolutely free. But alongside having a free price tag, it also comes with a lot of features. FDM comes with download acceleration, download resumption, and many more features. Additionally, it also doubles up as a BitTorrent client so you can add magnet links and torrent files too.
It may not have a video grabbing facility like IDM but you can paste the video links to download it easily. It may not have the best UI but it performs really well.
- BitTorrent support. You can download files using the BitTorrent protocol.
- Enhanced audio/video files support.
- Download acceleration.
- Resuming broken downloads.
- Smart file management and powerful scheduler.
- Adjusting traffic usage.
- Multi-language support.
- Absolutely free and 100% safe.
Download Link: freedownloadmanager.org
Motrix comes with a clean and minimalistic user interface that performs just as well as IDM coupled with all the cool features. It can perform up to 10 concurrent downloads, 64 thread download support, port mapping, and much more. The UI here also supports dark mode and if you are using this on mac os, there is support for the touch bar as well.
Even though it is still in the development stage, it works really well and is a very good alternative to IDM.
- Cross-platform support.
- Easy to use interface.
- BitTorrent selective download.
- Automatic tracker list update.
- UPnP & NAT-PMP Port Mapping.
- Parallel download tasks (up to 10)
- Support for up to 64 threads in a single task.
- Ability to set a speed limit.
Download Link: motrix.app
If you are looking for a lightweight IDM alternative, EagleGet can be proved as one of the best options. EagleGet comes with features similar to IDM, such as schedule downloading, download acceleration, cleaning capabilities, and whatnot. If you are someone who does not want to pay for internet security, EagleGet also comes with an inbuilt feature to scan all your downloads for any sort of malware.
Download Link: eagleget.en.softonic.com
Turbo Download Manager extension
If you are looking for an open-source alternative to IDM, Turbo Download Manager is something you can go for. Turbo download manager comes with a super minimal user interface that is perfect for someone who wants a straightforward download manager. It comes with an automatic video grabbing feature just like IDM and grabs videos, audio, image files, or any other downloads you want. Not to forget, there is a multi-setting download with support for pause and resume downloads as well.
You can add it as a browser extension to your Google Chrome from the link below.
Download Link: chrome.google.com/webstore
Jdownloader comes with all the essential features of an IDM along with a handful of super creative and super useful features that you probably might not be expecting in a download manager. Jdownloader is also open source and it includes resuming downloads, setting bandwidth limits, and much more. However, it comes with some really interesting features. Jdownloader can extract an archived file once the download has been completed. In addition to that it can automatically solve captcha codes, comes with multilingual support and even theming abilities. The interface is quite updated but its features are what make it a worthy IDM alternative.
- Platform independent( Windows, Linux, Mac).
- Runs on Java 1.5 or higher.
- Complete Open-Source (GPL)
- 24-hour support.
- Download several files at once.
- Download with multiple connections.
- JD has its own powerful OCR module.
- Automatic extractor (including password list search)
Download Link: jdownloader.org
Ninja Download Manager
The ninja download manager has arguably one of the best interfaces. Apart from the interface, it also excels in its functionality. It comes with the ability to download multiple files simultaneously and also breaks down these files into small chunks to make the download process considerably faster. You can also preview your file while the downloading is in process. Other features like scheduling downloads, resume and pausing of a download, etc are also present here.
The process to download this download manager can be a bit longer that is why I am attaching a direct download link below. It will download the .exe file on your device and you can install the manager right away.
Download link: Ninja Download Manager
It is open-source and is available for pretty much every platform out there. UGet brings about features such as multi-connection downloads which use file splitting to increase download speed, batch download with file queuing, and the ability to resume and pause downloads without having to start the downloads from the beginning. The app automatically adjusts its appearance based on the color scheme and icons of the operating system that it is installed on. The best part here is the seamless browser integration which easily lets you fetch downloads.
Download Link: ugetdm.com
Neat Download Manager
It is a lightweight alternative of IDM which will obtain around 850 kb space only. It is a small utility that hardly takes any space on your system and comes with great features which are as follows-
- Speeds up the downloads.
- Organizes the downloads as per their file type, download status, etc.
- Supports HTTP, HTTPS, HTTP Proxy, and FTP Protocols.
- Allows you to pause and resume the downloads.
- Has browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Let’s set bandwidth limits and maximum connection number on downloads.
- Allows you renew expired Downloads.
Download Link: neatdownloadmanager.com
FlashGet can split downloaded files into sections, downloading each section simultaneously, for an increase in downloading speed from 100% to 500%. This, coupled with FlashGet’s powerful and easy-to-use management features, helps you take control of your downloads like never before.
FlashGet comes with the following prominent features:
- Optimizes the use of system resources so it doesn’t slow down your system.
- Automatically scans downloaded files.
- 100% free, no adware, spyware, or malware.
- Increases download speed and stability.
- Supports HTTP, FTP, BitTorrent, eMule, and other torrent protocols.
- Powerful files management feature.
Download Link: flashget.com
Internet Download Accelerator
Internet Download Accelerator effectively solves three of the biggest problems when downloading files: speed, resuming broken downloads, and management of downloaded files. Internet Download Accelerator lets you noticeably increase the speed of file download from the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols. The acceleration is achieved by splitting a file being downloaded into several parts and downloading these parts at the same time. The app resumes broken downloads from where they left off from both HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP servers.
To increase usability the tool integrates with Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, Safari, Yandex Browser, Vivaldi, and others, replacing the standard download modules. Moreover, the program monitors the system clipboard and detects URLs in the clipboard. With IDA you can download and save video from popular video services.
- Divides downloads into multiple streams for faster downloading.
- Batch downloads.
- Import/Export download jobs.
- Auto/manual updating of download address.
- Multiple queues.
- Recent downloads list for easy access to directories.
- Video downloading from streaming video sites.
DownThemAll lets you download all the links or images contained in a webpage and much more. You can cleanse your downloads by fully customizable criteria to get only what you really want.
DownThemAll is all you can desire from a download manager. It features an advanced accelerator that increases speed up to 400%, allows you to pause and resume downloads at any time, and, last but not least, it’s fully integrated into your favorite browser.
- Complete integration with Mozilla Firefox.
- Get page spidered with a single click
- Have all the files you want with just one click.
- Filtering has never been easier.
- Advanced auto-renaming options.
- Increase your download speed up to 400%.
- Pause and resume your downloads.
Download Link: downthemall.net
Xtreme Download Manager
Xtreme Download Manager or XMD is a multimedia tool that downloads files at the maximum possible speed. It saves videos from various video-sharing sites, including Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, and Google Video. On top of that, it has a built-in converter, allowing you to save your downloaded video to popular formats. However, the download process of this app differs from other video downloaders.
- Resuming Capability.
- Force Assemble.
- YouTube Video Downloader.
- Advanced YouTube Downloader.
- Browser Integration.
- Batch Downloading.
- Auto Detect URL from Clipboard.
- Start/Stop Downloading in Queue.
Download Link: xtremedownloadmanager.com
Aria2 – Command Line alternative
Aria2 is a utility for downloading files. The supported protocols are HTTP(S), FTP, SFTP, BitTorrent, and Metalink. Aria2 can download a file from multiple sources/protocols and try to utilize your maximum download bandwidth. It supports downloading a file from HTTP(S)/FTP/SFTP and BitTorrent at the same time, while the data downloaded from HTTP(S)/FTP/SFTP is uploaded to the BitTorrent swarm. Using Metalink’s chunk checksums, aria2 automatically validates chunks of data while downloading a file like BitTorrent.
- Built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interfaces can control the aria2 process.
- Auto check of chunks of data while downloading a file like BitTorrent using Metalink’s chunk checksums.
- HTTP Proxy authentication support.
- Download a file from multiple sources/protocols by giving a better download experience.
Download Link: github.com
Persepolis Download Manager
It was created as a graphical user interface for the aria2 console download utility. Persepolis Download Manager is a simple yet efficient open-source software tool for grabbing files on the Internet. Written in Python, this application enables you to manage all your downloads from a single place. It’s developed For GNU/Linux Distributions, BSDs, macOS, and Microsoft Windows.
- Multi-segment downloading
- Scheduling downloads
- Download queuing
- Finding and downloading video from Youtube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc
Download Accelerator Plus
Download Accelerator Plus, which is also referred to as DAP, is a download manager for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. It uses multipart download to increase speeds, creating multiple connections of different file segments to speed up downloads. Download Accelerator Plus works by splitting files into smaller pieces and automatically seeking faster mirrors. It also can get a file simultaneously from several sites.
- Pause and Resume: Resume broken or interrupted downloads and resume all paused downloads at once.
- Download Security: Know if the file you downloaded is safe before you open it.
- Mirror Sites Speed Boost: Search for the fastest download sources and switch to faster mirror sites while downloading.