The Raspberry Pi 4 8GB variant has been launched on 28th May 2020 and the same is available in India since the day after. So, if you want to buy one you can get it now. The price is not marked at $75 (for the 8GB variant), which is not very cheap as a Raspberry Unit, also the price may increase a little more over the marked price in India. As per the Indian currency:
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model-B 2GB Model in India at ₹ 3,190.
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model-B with 4 GB RAM costs: ₹ 4,990.
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model-B with 8 GB RAM will price ₹ 6,996.
Raspberry Pi Specifications
- CPU – Broadcom BCM2711, Quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit 1.5GHz.
- RAM -2GB, 4GB, 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
- Wi-Fi – 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless
- LAN – Gigabit Ethernet.
- Connectivity – 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports, 2 Micro HDMI ports, 2-lane MIPI DSI display port, 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port, 4-pole stereo audio, and composite video port, Bluetooth 5.0
- Video Support – H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode), OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
- Other – 5V DC via USB-C connector, 5V DC via GPIO header
Raspberry Pi 4 Variants
There are mainly three variants of Raspberry Pi 4 is available in the now, 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB variants. Though all the guides have the reference to the 8GB model only, there are three variants available. Also, Raspberry Pi 4’s Broadcom BCM2711 chip supports up to 16GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM. The 2GB is priced at $35 and the 4GB variant is priced at $55 and the 8GB one is priced at $75. All the three variants come with the Raspberry Pi OS 64 Bit, instead of Raspbian 32 Bit.
Raspberry Pi 4 is it worth to buy?
According to various studies, revealed that the sales of Raspberry Pi have been increased, as many people opted for cheap home working and in house electronic hobby as an educational pastime. Many students found Raspberry to be very useful to practice their skills with application-level programming. Also Raspberry pi provided people a cheap way of buying PC, due to short on of cash. So, during the Covid-19 pandemic and increasing working from home culture proved too fruitful for Raspberry’s demands. On the other hand, due to the lockdown state in various regions and countries, the supply of Raspberry Pi 4 may face disruption. But, the point is should you invest $75 worth for a development board. Then the answer is YES.
- As I would say just give a look at the specification, this is actually a wow for a development board. You can get an even more powerful Dev board or SBC like Lattepanda Alpha for three times the Raspberry Pi 4’s price. But, this time with the insane specifications Raspberry Pi 4 has become a full-fledged Single Board Computer in the form of Dev board. So, for an electronic hobby, Raspberry Pi 4 is a great choice, considering what you are getting in the package.
- Also for small businesses where multiple simple nodes (PC) are needed for basic operation or documentation jobs, Raspberry Pi 4 can be your one-stop cheap but healthy solution. The new 64 Bit OS adds an extra standard and a lot of new capabilities, supports, and possibilities as a package.
- If you are in need of a simple Media PC for internet browsing, email access, Movies, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, Hulu, YouTube, etc. then Raspberry Pi 4 is a great solution, as it would cost you 1/4th of a full-fledged PC; all you need to buy a Monitor, a Keyboard-Mouse Combo and a set of earphones, and your PC is ready to be used.
- The Raspberry Pi 4 supports 4K60FPS video output, so at the price of $75, it is just amazing. No other platform can offer you such 4K60FPS video output in the same price range.
- The USB – C socket made it a 2020’s gadget, unlike the last editions.
- Raspberry Pi is now available with the 64-bit image along with the existing 32-bit image. So the power users can use the 64-bit image to map all the 8GB memory into the memory address space for a single process.
- The Raspberry Pi OS is currently into beta version and does lack many necessary key features, but it is still a work in progress. After completion Raspberry Pi OS is going to become a popular choice as a 64-bit alternative to 64-bit versions of Ubuntu and Gentoo. So, the OS future is quite full proof, so you can use the Raspberry Pi 4 SBC for a long time along with the developer supports and updates.
The Raspberry Pi 4 release one of the few good news which came within a hard time of the Covid-19 pandemic. Simply the Raspberry Pi 4 is something of class, but with a very decent price and quite powerful hardware. Actually I would say, now Raspberry managed to become a complete SBC package with the launch of Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM and 64 Bit full-fledged OS. Just go for it. Raspberry Pi 4 is a good choice for micro to small scale offices, for coaching centers and for students, for kids and for electronic DIY development projects.