Asus ZenFone 3 Max (ZC553KL) is the predecessor of the latest launched smartphone Asus ZenFone 3s Max (ZC521TL) (detailed specs) by Asus. The Zenfone 3 series is a very popular smartphone series of Asus whereas the Zenfone 3 + Max series is especially dedicated smartphones with good battery backup. The Asus Zenfone 3 max zc553kl comes in two flavors: One is 5.50- inches Asus Zenfone 3 zc553kl priced at 17,999 in India whereas the Asus Zenfone 3 Max ZC520TL 5.2 -inches comes at Rs 12,999. You can see the detailed specs comparison between theses two variants:
Here is the detailed specs comparison between Zenfone 3S MAX and 3 MAX
I have been using the Asus ZenFone 3 Max for more than 2 weeks now and the things which really impressed me is the good battery life along solid build design. Let’s see the detailed Asus Zenfone 3 max zc553kl review to find out how efficient it is in terms camera, battery backup and performance. Also, I will give some important Query answers to Zenfone 3 max users which I got from different forums.
Asus Zenfone 3 max zc553kl review in Detail
Things inside the Zenfone 3 Max Box
- Asus Zenfone 3 max Handset
- Micro USB Cable
- OTG USB Adaptor
- Quick Start Guide
- SIM Tray Ejector
- Warranty Card
Zenfone 3 max Review: Solid Metal Design
The Design of the 3 MAX is not something that comes from a different planet but what is really impressive is its solid uni-metal slab design. Out of the box, when you see the device it feels really premium and solid. The front of the phone is totally white in color with 2.5D glass along capacitive touch buttons at the lower part of the display. Sadly the navigation buttons are not backlit that might create some problem while using in the dark. The upper portion of the display’s front comprises of ear speaker, front camera, ambient light sensor and notification LED. The 2.5D glass merges with curved edges of the metallic back make it premium and classy.
Coming to the back side which gives it’s a solid look has brushed metal finish that increases the grip and avoids accidental slipping from the hands. There are two chrome finish antenna strips at the back which looks like the antenna bands on the iPhone 7. At the back, the phone features a camera, and a fingerprint sensor aligned at the center of the back. A Laser autofocus sensor and dual LED flash grab its place at the left side of the camera unit.
The right side of the 3MAX has the good tactile volume rocker and power on/off buttons whereas the left side designed for Dual Hybrid Micro + Nano sim card tray.
The top side space of the phone is for the 3.5 mm headphone jack and the bottom has micro USB port along speaker grills at the right side.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max Review – 5.5 inches full HD display
The Zenfone 3 Max features 5.5 inches Full HD (1080 x 1920 pixels) IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen that supports 401 PPI pixel density. I am not going to say that the display is different from other 5.5 inch IPS panels but it has good viewing angles and eye-catching colors. The legibility of the display is also decent and at full brightness (400nits) you can easily read the text under bright sunlight but still, I wish a little bit more brightness boost. The color reproduction is also good and you are not going to the complaint unless you are not going to compare it some AMOLED or iPhone displays.
For saving your eyes from the blue light it gives you the feature like other ASUS that is Eye Protection which filters the blue light and gives little bit yellowish tint to reduce the eye’s fatigue.
For protection there is no Gorilla glass which is little bit disappoints us but there is an Oleophobic coating which protects the phone display from a certain amount of finger smudges and also this coating will help you to clean the dirt from the display with help of just a soft cloth. This means you don’t need extra cleaning solution. Also, the Oleophobic layer makes the touch silky and smooth but the downside is it also gives a little slippery feel to it.
Asus Zenfone 3 max (zc553kl) Camera Review: Pixel Master and EIS stabilization
For photography, it sports a 16-megapixel f/2.0 rear camera along PDAF and Laser -assists focus technology. The images it captures come out with average detailing and natural color reproduction. The image it produces doesn’t feel oversaturated or unrealistic at any point. The shots captured in the Super-resolution mode gives very good detailing as it combines multiple shots to give a shot equivalent to the 64MP camera. Low light images were not very much impressive and give grains even under the low light mode. The front camera of the phone is not going to underestimate you as it comes with an 8-megapixel that can shoot bright and crisp selfies in the daylight. For videos, a ZenFone 3 Max has a three-axis electronic image stabilizer (EIS) to keeps your handheld videos -steady and can shoot 1080p. The company claims that it can focus in 0.03 seconds but in our test it didn’t but if you see it in real life the autofocus is pretty much snappy and stable.
The camera app has different modes such as manual, HDR, beautification, Super resolution, Low light, QR code, Effect, Selfie, Panorama, Time lapse and Night. Overall the camera is good and can fulfill all the day to day photography demands.
Sample Images captured by Asus Zenfone 3 Max
Asus Zenfone 3 max zc553kl Software Review – ASUS ZenUI 3.0（based on Android OS, v6.0.1 Marshmallow）
The Asus Zenfone 3 max runs on Asus Zenfone UI 3.0 based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. In the UI there are plenty of options and setting menu. You can customize the phone’s theme, transitions, and other effects to suit your style. For example, you can switch between no app drawer mode to single layer mode or both. But lots of customization also gives a feeling of clutteredness and heavy user interface but we didn’t find lag in switching between apps. There are few pre-built icons and a complete set of animation, and lots of utility apps from ASUS.
Asus has given its own Themes store from where you can download phones’ compatible themes. You can also capture photos by its fingerprint sensor by enabling it from setting. Beside this, there are also some other functionalities it gives such as double-tap to wake or sleep, motion gestures (like to answer a call), glove mode to increase the sensitivity of the screen.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max Review- Performance and Battery
Under its solid hood, the ZenFone 3 Max pairs with 64-bit 1.4Ghz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 CPU along with 3GB RAM for multitasking. To handle the graphics it uses Adreno 505 GPU and 32GB of internal storage which can be expanded via a micro SD card (of up to 128GB). The Phone uses a Snapdragon 430 processor which is not a high-performance processor but despite intensive UI, the phone runs without any performance lag or sluggishness. We played Asphalt Xtreme, FIFA 16 and Mortal Kombat on it without any noticeable hiccups. The two SIM slots support all major 4G networks in India.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max is packed with a 4,000mAH battery and in our video loop test, it stands out for 7 hours 10 minutes. If we talk about the normal usage then it gives us a backup of 2+ days on normal usage and approx 1 days on heavy usage. For charging it has micro USB 2.0 port and it does support USB On-The-Go. In the phone box, you will also find the OTG cable that can use to connect drives and can convert you Zenfone 3 Max into a power bank to charge other gadgets. To get fully charged it nearly takes more than 2 hours.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max: Question and Answer round
Q. Does Asus zenfone 3 max support Jio?
Ans: Yes, the Asus Zenfone 3 Max both Sim card slots support 4G connectivity and Reliance Jio SIM. Besides 4G, it also supports the VOLTE for HD calling.
Q. How does reverse charging work in the Asus ZenFone 3 Max
Ans: For using Asus Zenfone 3Max reverse charging, we don’t need to enable any setting or option. Just use the OTG cable comes along the box and plug one end of the cable to phone and another end to other phones USB cable. You can get the idea from below given screenshot.
Q. Which phone should I prefer to buy between Lenovo ZUK Plus, Vivo V5 and Asus Zenfone 3 Max?
Ans: All three phones fall under almost same price tag and has their own USPs. Like if someone wants a phone for selfies and good sound quality then one should go for Vivo V5(review), on another hand if you want a good battery, Full HD display and lots customization option smartphone then it would be Zenfone 3 MAX. Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus is a good looking device packed with good combination of hardware. It runs smooth, has powerful battery and has several attractive features such as U health app and fingerprint button with various functions. At this price, it is a good bet to have. And if you are looking for a pretty balanced device in terms of looks and performance then Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus is a fine choice, having several attractive features such as U health app.
Q. Does Asus Zenfone 3 Max 32GB support VOLTE technology?
Ans. Yes, it does
Q. How to clean & boost ASUS ZenFone 3 Max ZC553KL?
Ans: If you think that some app is using more RAM then you can use its pre-installed Power & Boost to free up the memory. Also one can use the clean master app to delete the junk files and boosting the device performance.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max Review Synopsis
Under 20k price budget, the ZenFone 3 Max is a good choice as it gives a good package of performance, battery backup, and display. Recently the Asus launched an Asus Zenfone 3S Max with 5000mAh battery at lower price as compared to 3 Max. So if your power user and want a good battery smartphone than I would recommend you the Zenfone 3S Max.
Asus Zenfone 3 Max Detailed specifications
- Device Type Smartphone
- Price Rs 17,999
- Model Asus Zenfone 3 Max ZC553KL
- Released Novermber 2016
- Type Design Type called form factor refers to a mobile phone's size, shape, and style as well as the layout and position of major components of phone. There are three major form factors seen in mobile phones => bar phones, folding phones and sliding phones.Bar
- Dimensions 151.4 x 76.2 x 8.3 mm
- Weight 175 g
- Colors Titanium Gray, Glacier Silver, Rose Pink, Sand Gold
- Waterproof No
- Display Type Display Technology => A number of display technologies and types used in mobile phones => TFT (Thin Film Transistor), IPS (In-Place Switching), OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode), Super AMOLED (an even advanced version of AMOLED), Resistive Touchscreen (Resistive touchscreens contain two layer of conductive material with a very small gap between them which acts as a resistance), Capacitive Touchsceen (Capacitive touchscreen technology consists of a layer of glass coated with a transparent conductor)IPS LCD
- Size 5.5 inches
- Resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Display Colors Display Colors is refers to the number of different shades of colors that the screen is capable of displaying => 64K colors, 256K colors and 16 million colors, Obviously 16M is highest available range of colors and better than others.16M colors
- Pixel Density Pixel Density (PPI) is refers to the concentration of pixels on a particular display, measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Pixel density is calculated by dividing the diagonal pixel resolution of a display by its diagonal size, higher pixel density better display quality.401 ppi
- Touch Screen Yes, Multitouch
- Display Protection Display Protection => Gorilla Glass is a special alkali-aluminosilicate glass shield with exceptional damage resistance that helps protect mobile displays from scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use, It is always better to go for a smartphone with Gorilla Glass for that added protection and peace of mind.Oleophobic coating
- Primary Camera is able to capture photographs and usually videos, The most important characteristics of a camera are the resolution (measured in megapixels), lens focus type (fixed or automatic), higher megapixel cameras are known to capture higher quality photos, but not always a good measurement of the photos quality.16 MP
- Video 1080p@30fps
- Camera Features Phase detection & laser autofocus, flash, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
- Flash Flash Light => There is commonly two types of flash lights are used in camera mobile phones, LED Flash (LED flash offers lower power consumption with drive circuitry that takes up very little room, LEDs can be strobed faster than any other light source), Xenon Flash (xenon flash produces an extremely intense full-spectrum white light for a very short duration)Dual-LED (dual tone)
- Secondary 8 MP
- Front flash No
- 2G Network Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network Yes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G Network Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 40(2300)
- SIM SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) is a small card that contains mobile network subscriber's account information. This allows the phone using the card to attach to a mobile network. The SIM card is most commonly associated with GSM and UMTS mobile networks. Moving a SIM card from one phone to another allows a subscriber to switch mobile phones without having to contact their mobile network carrier. SIM cards can also be used by a phone to store limited amounts of data, such as phone numbers and text messages.Nano-SIM+Nano-SIM
- Dual SIM Yes
- GPRS GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is a packet oriented mobile data service on the 2G and 3G cellular communication system's global system for mobile communications (GSM), Generally, GPRS is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- EDGE EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment) is a wireless network technology generally considered the next step in the 2G network offers data transfer rates up to four times faster than ordinary GSM networks, Generally, EDGE is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- Speed HSPA, LTE
- Web Browser Web Browser => a web browser is a software application used to locate, retrieve and display content on the World Wide Web, including Web pages, images, video and other files, The primary function of a web browser is to render HTML, the code used to design or markup webpages.HTML5
- Operating System OS => Every computer system run on a base software called Operating System (OS). Operating System controls all basic operations of the computer (such as smartphone, PDAs, tablet computers and other handheld devices). The Operating System allows the user to install and run third party applications (apps), apps are used to add new functionality to the device.Android OS, v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- User Interface UI or user interface of a device is the look and feel of the on-screen menu system. How it works, its color scheme, how it responds to button presses, all of these things are part of the user interface.ASUS ZenUI 3.0
- Chipset Chipset is a group of integrated circuits designed to perform one or a more dedicated functions, often with real time computing constraints, Popular smartphones are equipped with more advanced embedded chipsets that can do many different tasks depending on their programming.Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430
- CPU CPU (Central Processing Unit) mostly known as processors, CPU processes instructions in order to carry out certain functions that make your device operate properly. Processors are often described as the brain of computers, smartphones and tablets, Smartphones and tablets rely on processors to carry out their every task, Processors are an incredibly important factor in selecting any type of computing device, including your smartphone.Octa-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a single-chip processor designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display, This includes things such as lighting effects, object transformations, and 3D motion.Adreno 505
- RAM (Memory) RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of computer memory that can be accessed randomly, any byte of memory can be accessed without touching the preceding bytes that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations. RAM is the most common type of memory found in computer systems, smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.2/3/4 GB RAM
- Internal Storage Internal Storage is a data storage space (flash memory) mostly used in smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices where operating system, apps, music, photos, videos, files and other user data Is stored.32 GB
- Card Slot Memory Card Slot is a special slot for inserting a memory card. Memory cards allow you to expand the phone's built-in memory, A memory card (sometimes called a flash memory card or a storage card) is a small storage medium used to store data such as text, pictures, audio, and video, for use on small, portable or remote computing devices such as mobile phones, mp3 players, digital cameras.microSD, up to 200 GB, Hybrid card slot on SIM 2
- Sensors Sensors are electronic components that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment. The specific input could be light, heat, motion, moisture, pressure and location, The output is generally a signal that is converted to use in computing systems, a location sensor, such as a GPS receiver is able to detect current location of your electronic device.Rear-mounted Fingerprint, accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Compass
- Bluetooth Bluetooth is a wireless communications technology for exchanging data between mobile phones, headsets, computers and other network devices over short distances without wires, Bluetooth technology was primarily designed to support simple wireless networking of personal consumer devices.Yes, v4.1, A2DP, LE
- Infrared Infrared connectivity is an old wireless technology used to connect two electronic devices. It uses a beam of infrared light to transmit information and so requires direct line of sight and operates only at close range.
- Wi-fi Wi-Fi is a popular wireless networking technology using radio waves to provide high-speed network connections that allows devices to communicate without cords or cables, Wi-Fi is increasingly becoming the preferred mode of internet connectivity all over the world.Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-fi Hotspot
- USB microUSB v2.0, USB On-The-Go
- GPS GPS The Global Positioning System is a satellite-based radio navigation system, GPS permits users to determine their position, velocity and the time 24 hours a day, in all weather, anywhere in the world, In order to locate your position, your device or GPS receiver must have a clear view of the sky.Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC NFC (Near field communication) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish peer-to-peer radio communications with each other by touching them together or bringing them into proximity, usually no more than a few inches.
- HDMI HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from a HDMI-compliant source device to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device.
- Headphone Jack Yes, 3.5mm
- Remote Control No
- Battery Type Battery Type => Cell phones run on various kinds of batteries depending on the manufacturer, phone size or shape and features. There are basically four types of cell phone batteries => Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride and Nickel Cadmium.Li-Ion (Lithium Ion)
- Capacity Battery Capacity is a measure (typically in Amp-hr) of the charge stored by the battery, and is determined by the mass of active material contained in the battery. The battery capacity represents the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from the battery under certain conditions.4100 mAh
- Placement Fixed, Non-removable
Price and Specifications Overview