Are you having a huge collection of old school PSP games? If so, it will be a nostalgia to play those games now in 2018. But our computers are pretty mighty these days, and there is hardly a need to purchase a PSP console to enjoy those games. If you are still having access to the copies of those games, you can play them directly on your computer, laptop or your smartphone without the need for any additional hardware or a PSP console. How? I will discuss that in this article.
I will be showing you the tutorial with the help of an emulator, and thus, the experience of playing those games might not be as nostalgic as it were when you played them on an actual PSP console. An emulator is a piece of the program, which provides a hardware interface to make the programs think, they are being executed on the platform, they are meant to work. To make the experience even better, you can connect some controllers to your computer or smartphone to improve your experience of playing the games on the emulator. Though that is not mandatory. You can airways use the general input devices, like the mouse and computer, as well, to play the games.
So let’s get started with the tutorial.
Downloading the emulator
Just download the PPSSPP emulator from the internet. You can get the PPSSPP emulator for different platforms from the following links.
Using the PPSSPP emulator to Play PSP Games
If you have downloaded the PC or Windows version of PPSSPP, you can install or open it just the way you open or install other Windows programs. PPSSPP from the following links are free from ads and do not contain any bloatware.
The process of starting the games on all the platforms is quite similar.
So let’s explore it and know how to play old PSP games on Windows, Android, and other platforms
- Open PPSSPP on your device and you should get the following user interface.
- You will just have to give storage permission to PPSSPP Android.
- The complete file system will be shown in front of you.
- Now navigate to the folder, where the game ISO is present. Click on the ISO files, which appear on the app. Yes, your PSP games should be in ISO format to make it run on PPSSPP.
- I am showing the tutorial with the help of the ‘Gran Turismo’ game.
- If you are playing the game on Android, you will have to use the on-screen buttons. But, if you are playing the game on a computer or on Windows, you can remap the keys by clicking on ‘Game settings’ and then by choosing ‘Control mapping…’ from the menu.
- You can configure all the controller mapping settings from the menu.
- PPSSPP is one of the best emulators to play PSP games on other platforms. You can get a number of PSP games from the PSP Store, and can also grab some free ones from the different websites on the internet.
- Just in case you do not own any PSP games and cannot find a reputed source right now to download the games, you can play some of the free games, which can be downloaded from the ‘Homebrew Store’ available within PPSSPP emulator.
PPSSPP Gold is the paid premium version of PPSSPP, which is available for Windows and Android. The premium version of PPSSPP aka. PPSSPP Gold does not come with extra features and functionalities though. You should only purchase it if you want to support the development of PPSSPP.
Hope the tutorial on how to play PSP games on computers and smartphones, was helpful for you. Feel nostalgic by playing those cool PSP games in 2018. Do you have any suggestions or questions? Feel free to comment it down below.
You might also want to know about: