In the present situation, where all the countries are fighting against the Covid-19 pandemic, keeping a sharp eye on your own health and loved ones is very important. To keep yourself healthy and fit in this pandemic all the doctors are prescribing various kinds of changes in the regular way of life. As well as a regulated diet and routine health checkup have become mandatory for each person, disrespect to age. Now as we know most of the hospitals and health centers out there are crawling with the increasing number of active Covid-19 patients, it is quite risky to visit the health centers to conduct regular health check-ups. But there is another way, how you can go through regular health check-ups back at home. Though such home-based check-ups are not as thorough as the procedure followed by any hospital or health centers, this is the best one can do while maintaining the social distancing.
Yes, I am talking about consumer-level electronic monitoring devices, such as Blood Pressure Monitor, Blood Sugar Monitor or Glucometer, Electronic Thermometer, Infrared Thermometer, Pulse Oximeters, etc. In the last two articles, I have already discussed the best 3 Blood Pressure monitors and Glucometer which you can consider to buy. If you haven’t read those articles then search for the same on this website. Well, here we are going to discuss the top 3 Pulse Oximeters also available in India as well, among which one you can buy.
Why Oximeter is Needed?
If you are trying to be ready for self-quarantine, then also among other things, a Blood Pressure Monitor and an Oximeter are must, to have. In Covid-19 patients it has been seen, that the patient situation get worsen when the Oxygen level of the body goes down under a certain limit, which creates breathing problem, suffocation, and even cardiac-vascular failure. So, the family members have to keep an eye on the patient’s Oxygen level if someone within your house is infected with Covid-19 and being in self-quarantine. Apart from that if you have any Asthma patient, Pneumonia patient, or Cardiac patient back at your home, then also keeping an eye on the Oxygen level of that patient on a regular basis is a must. In such cases, only a Pulse Oximeter can help you.
It is not likely that all the time you would be having a doctor or nurse or an attendant beside you, so no one would be keeping an eye on your or your loved ones’ (patient) health stats. Therefore, to ensure medical care at the right moment, you need to detect the abnormality within the health stats, which only can be done via using such electronic devices like Oximeter, Glucometer, or Oximeter.
Also, considering the present and upcoming situation out there, and considering that most of the patients won’t be able to be admitted to the hospitals if the situation is not gravely worse due to the huge pressure on hospitals, everyone must be prepared for the worse. Hence it is no luxury to have such types of equipment back at your home, and you must consider buying such if you already do not have these types of equipment.
How does Oximeter Work
The Oximeter working principle is actually a simple function where the device measures light absorption in the blood. According to what we know through medical science that there is a clear difference between the light absorption capabilities of Oxygenated blood and the de-Oxygenated blood. The Oximeter device is programmed to measures the change or the difference in the physical light absorption rate and then it interprets the data into readable digits and unit. The technique is called “Measurement of the SpO2 Level” in medical terms. In Engineering words, the Oximeter emits light from on end while the other end detects the light via photo-sensor. The usage of this technique is vastly used because it is a non-invasive way to measure the SpO2 levels of the blood. Also during the procedure, the sensor automatically picks up the pulse rate to measure the gap between two pulses, which in turn lets the Oximeter measure the heart rate as well.
How Many types of Oximeter are there
There are mainly three types of Oximeters out there, Finger Pulse Oximeter, Hand-held Oximeter, and Paediatric Oximeter.
Finger Pulse Oximeter
- It is very compact in size, so easy to carry and easy to use.
- It is mounted on the fingertip in order to use, and it can be mounted on any of the fingertips.
- The Finger Pulse Oximeters measures the SpO2 level very quickly, so good for instant monitoring.
- The screen also is apart of the device itself, so you do not need to attach any other display device to it, like which you have seen at the hospitals.
- This is a very cost-effective Oxygen monitoring solution.
- The Hand-held Oximeters are costlier in price, almost 5 times costlier than the Finger Pulse Oximeters.
- Such devices re normally used by medical practitioners at health centers and at hospitals.
- Hand-held Oximeters are far more sophisticated and provide many other allied measurements along with the Oxygen level, which is difficult to understand for the normal users with no medical academics.
- The clip of the Hand-held Oximeter can be attached to fingertips as well as to the toe tips.
- The Hand-held Oximeters are more of a diagnostic device rather than a monitoring device. So, this kind of Oximeters is not recommended for normal users.
- As the name suggests, such devices are used to monitor the SpO2 level of children.
- The Paediatric Oximeter is also known as Fetal Pulse Oximeter.
- As the infants’ fingertips are extremely small, that is why the Paediatric Oximeters do not have finger clips or clamps, instead, they do contain a probe. The probe needs to be touched to the head of the baby, and the device provides the monitored result along with some other diagnostic data.
- The Paediatric Oximeters also can be used to measure the SpO2 level of an unborn baby, which helps the doctor to understand the health hazards of the baby even before he/she is born.
Recommendation for Best Pulse Oximeters
- Dr. Trust (USA) Professional Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
This one is a product of the highest grade. Dr. Trust Profession Pulse Oximeter measures the Pulse, Respiration, and SpO2 levels. The device is a water-resistant one and it comes from one of the best brands in medical monitoring devices Dr. Trust. The Dr. Trust Professional Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter comes with a free digital thermometer in the package.
Click on Image to see the product on Amazon.
- It measures the SpO2 levels accurately and also can monitor the heartbeat rate and pulse rate of the body.
- The device rugged, features a good quality build and it is also a water-resistant device, so the investment is not bad at all. It is a product for long term usages.
- Dr. Trust’s Oximeter is certified and approved by the US FDA and European Conformity, which clarifies the high standard of the product.
- The device is lightweight and compact and durability at its best.
- The water resistance cover is the IP22 index.
- Trust Pro Pulse Oximeter is power by Two AAA batteries and the batteries also come with the package.
- It contains buzzer alarm which triggers in case of abnormal or critical Oxygen level detection.
- The device is incredibly accurate, many doctors recommend this product, and many doctors use this product themselves.
- Talking about accuracy The perfusion index of the sensors of this device is 0.2 where normally other similar devices feature sensors with 0.6 index.
- It features anti-motion detectors, which ensures accurate ratings even when the patient is moving constantly. The device is also omnidirectional in nature.
- The device has a low battery indicator. Features easy to use single button operation. Another Menu button is also provided for tweaking some settings.
- Also, it comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty in case of malfunction.
- The price is quite high ($60-65) in comparison to other alternatives, but the quality of the product deserves such a price.
- The only thing I see as a negative point which is the absence of a good user manual, as the provided manual is not clear enough for a layman.
- Newnik PX701 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Newnik PX701 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is a very good choice for both kids and adults. The device can measure Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels (SpO2) and Pulse Rate (PR), & Respiration Rates accurately. The respiration rate monitor is a very helpful feature for sportspersons.
Click the image to see the product on Amazon.
- Two-color options are available i.e. light blue and royal blue.
- Features a two-color OLED display.
- The screen is water-resistant and the body is made of rugged fiber.
- It features a very unique buzzer alert in case of abnormal pulse strength and low Oxygen level at the body. Though the alarm sound should have been much louder.
- A low battery indication feature is also there.
- The device features an auto on/off system to save battery consumption unnecessarily.
- The Newnik PX701 Oximeter is designed to meet and exceed the CE and FDA standards.
- The package contains 2 AAA batteries, a user manual, and a 1year warranty card.
- The price ($50-55) is not suitable for tight budget buyers. Due to some missing features unlike Dr. Trust Pro Pulse Oximeter, I personally think this is a little overpriced device.
- Choicemmed MD300C2D Pulse Oximeter
Choicemmed is a reputed brand that manufactures a variety of health care products and monitoring devices. The Choicemmed MD300C2D Pulse Oximeter is a good quality in budget devices for all kinds of users.
Click the image to see the product on Amazon.
- The device is small and compact. The battery run-time is longer than any other alternatives which make it a low maintenance device.
- Choicemmed MD300C2 features super-fast ultra quality sensors that do the job done with accuracy along with blazing speed.
- The device can monitor Pulse Rate and Oxygen Levels only.
- Though the output result is shown in various modes like Digit mode, bar form, and wave-form, which let the users analyze the reading in a comprehensive way.
- The device is not a water-resistant one, due to the budget-friendliness may be. So, not good for sweaty conditions or not suitable for sportspersons. Though it is a good choice for in-house usages.
- Though the monitoring result is extremely reliable and accurate. It also features anti-movement features, which ensures accurate reading even the patient is moving constantly.
- Easy to use single button operation.
- The brightness level has 8 different levels to choose from, and the display is also rotatable at all sides.
- Comes with an auto-shutoff feature as well.
- A low battery indicator is featured but without a buzzer.
- Does not feature a buzzer alarm for abnormal/critical readings.
- The device comes with a user manual, a set of 2 AAA batteries, and a 1-year replacement warranty card.
- The price comes within the tight budget ($35-40) segment along with dependable quality.
There are other Oximeters available in the market within the budget of $25, but I would not recommend the cheap devices, as the sensors may not be up to mark, and you would end up with inaccurate readings. Also, the cheap devices do not feature good build quality, which would make the device fragile as well.
So, go for a good quality product, and invest a little bit more than your expected budget, because this is a matter of your & your loved one’s health. Do not waste any time in case of abnormal readings, as supplementary Oxygen supply becomes mandatory I case of critical oxygen level. So call for medical aid ASAP, when the pulse is falling abnormally or any breathing problem is there to avoid any mortal threat. Stay safe in the pandemic, and bye for now folks.
Top 8 Healthcare Devices that everyone must have right now
Interview with Mr. Sagar M Verma, Co-Founder – Myhealthadvisor
Steps to Consider when Buying Health Insurance Plan for Coronavirus
Technology: The New Normal in India’s Healthcare sector
Allabout Innovations’ Wolf Airmask reduces the Covid up to 99.9% in the air: Mr. Boniface Gasper Chief Scientific Officer & Director
Moderna’s Corona vaccine in the United States with 45% effective rate