Self-hosted Mail servers can help in cost-cutting and increase the security. Almost all email servers feature two agents- Mail delivery agent (MDA) and Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) to deliver your emails from one point to another. Mail delivery agent (MDA) is used to route the e-mails from to its destination while the Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) transfers e-mail between servers or computers using a client-server application architecture. Examples of Mail delivery agent (MDA) are Dovecot, Qpopper, Courier, and Cyrus IMAP/POP3 servers and for Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) are Exim, Qmail, Sendmail, OpenSMTPD, Postfix, and others. If you want an opensource and free Mail server software to create a mail server for an enterprise or SMB then you are at right place. We have gathered some best known free Mail server and some of them open source too.
Opensource and Free Mail Servers Software List
Kolab is a free and open source groupware suite. Kolab is one of the best free and opensource mail server that provides enterprises class functionalities. It provides mail server called Kolab server and support varieties of clients such as KDE PIM-Suite Kontact, Roundcube web frontend, Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Lightning. For Mozilla clients, it uses the SyncKilab extension and to support the Microsoft Outlook it uses proprietary Kolab-Connector PlugIns.
- Support varieties of clients Full
- ActiveSync and CalDAV, CardDAV and WebDAV support
- Features Email, Calendar, Address Books, Tasks and File-Cloud
- Support for KDE with Kontact
- Microsoft Outlook support using their own proprietary Kolab connector PlugIns
- A web administration interface
- IMAP4rev1 as well as POP3 access to mail
- Full support for client-side PGP and S/MIME email encryption
- And more…
Zimbra – Email and Collaboration Suite
Zimbra is the most popular opensource mail server and used millions of people. Zimbra is an enterprise suitable email server and client solution. This is mail solution is cloud ready for both public and private. The intuitive mailbox integrates address book, email, tasks, calendar files and enterprise applications. Zimbra can be deployed as a virtual appliance on private or public cloud and provides Mobile Web Client app too. It supports IMAP/POP, CalDAV, and CarDAV protocols.
Zimbra Email suite features
- POP and IMAP Email support
- CardDAV, iCal and CalDAV Clients support
- POP & IMAP Email for Smartphones
- Mobile Web Client
- CardDAV Contacts & CalDAV Calendar
- Web Administration Console
- Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Integrated Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus
- Postscreen MTA Security
- SSL SNI
- Multi-Domain Support
- Migration Tools
- Real-time Backup and Restore
- One-Click Disaster Recovery
- Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM)
- Zimbra Mobile (ActiveSync)
- Mobile Device Policy Management
- Native Integration with ownCloud and Nextcloud
- And More…
Download Zimbra Opensource Mail Server
iRedMail – Free, Open Source Mail Server Solution
Want to convert your Linux based server into the powerful open source Mail server then set up iRedMail. It is most trusted and popular mail server for all machines running in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD.
iRedMail Mail Server features
- Database support OpenLDAP, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL.
- Manage your calendars (CalDAV), address books (CardDAV)
- Unlimited Accounts
- SpamAssassin, ClamAV, SPF, DKIM, greylisting, whitelisting, blacklisting. Quarantining detected spam into SQL
- Spam filtering
- Secure connections (POP3/IMAP/SMTP over TLS, webmail with HTTPS).
- Web admin panel
Download the iRedmail
Modoboa- Mail hosting and management platform
Modoboa is another Linux based opensource mail hosting and management platform with easy to use web user interface. The Modoboa provides support to all SQL based databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite) and integrates well-known software such as Postfix or Dovecot. Other useful components of this mail server are administration panel, a frontend for Amavis or a webmail. It is written in Python and uses the Django, jQuery and Bootstrap frameworks.
Modoboa feature :
- Administration panel to manage domains, mailboxes, aliases and more.
- Intuitive Amavis frontend to manage quarantine content and to define per-domain settings.
- Built-in monitoring
- Per-user Sieve filters
- Autoreply messages for Postfix
Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server
Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server also is known as Apache James. It is an Opensource SMTP and POP3 mail transfer agent and NNTP based enterprise Mail server. It is entirely written in Java.
- SMTP, LMTP, POP3, IMAP, ManageSieve, JMAP
- Independent, extensible and pluggable email processing agents
- Storage API: Mailbox API / Search API / User API
- Storage Implementations: Cassandra / PostgreSQL / HSQLDB / MySQL / ElasticSearch
- Administration: JMX / REST / Command Line
- James Core
Courier Mail Transfer Agent
The Courier mail transfer agent (MTA) opensource mail server is an integrated mail/groupware server. It based on protocols such as ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, LDAP, SSL, and HTTP. The basic web-based calendaring and scheduling services integrated into its webmail module.
This free Mail server is also meant for POSIX-based operating systems based on Linux, and BSD-derived kernels. It can provide mail services for regular operating system accounts. The Courier mail server can also provide mail services for virtual mail accounts, managed by an LDAP, MySQL, or PostgreSQL-based authentication database. The mail filtering engine, the webmail server, and the IMAP server also available.
Dwarf Mail Server
Dwarf Mail Server is another Java-based platform Mail server featured SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4rev1 protocols. It can handle virtual domains for the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocols and also provide rich app application message processing via pluggable Mail filters and agents.
Dwarf Mail Server Features
- ESMTP, POP3 and IMAP4rev1 implementation.
- Application logic layer provided by Mail filters and agents.
- Virtual mail hosts in SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 server.
- Handle multiple virtual domains.
- SSL/TLS communication, host-based filtering etc.
- MS Windows, UNIX/Linux/BSD, MacOS X and others servers support.
- Application-independent authentication and authorization.
- Sample JSP-based webmail interface.
Download the Dwarf Mail Server
MailEnable – Standard Edition
MailEnable comes in two editions premium and Standard Editions. The standard one is free to use the mail server. It provides robust SMTP, IMAP, POP3 and Webmail services for Microsoft Windows servers. The installation of this server doesn’t require any command and very simple to install. MailEnable is an AJAX-based webmail client. It features including personal calendaring, contacts, tasks, folders, auto signature, multilingual capabilities and much more.
MailEnable – Standard Edition Free Mail Server Features
- AJAX webmail client
- POP and SMTP mail services supporting unlimited users and domains.
- Manage all your contacts in your web browser
- Webmail Calendar
- Appointment Scheduling & Invitations
- Free & Busy Scheduling
- Webmail Tasks
- Control Panel Integration
- Out-of-Office Start/End Times for Autoresponder
- SMTP Authentication, Integrated Windows Authentication, Relay control.
- Anti-Spam- PTR record checking, DNS blacklisting, auto-banning of IP addresses and more.
- Management Console
- Inline YouTube Player and MP3 Media Player
- And more…
Download Free MailEnable Standard Edition
Axigen- Free Mail server
Axigen is another enterprise class mail server for small and medium business. It is a good alternative to Opensource mail servers but the free version is limited to 5 domains, 5 users, and 5 groups.
Axigen- Free Mail server Features
- Address Book, fast, index-based search, contacts import/export, out-of-office messages, rules and filters, and many others.
- Retrieve messages from external accounts (e.g. Yahoo! Mail, Gmail)
- calendars, tasks, and notes.
- Send mails on other users’ behalf
- Access your messages, contacts, and calendars directly from tablet or smartphone, via our built-in CalDAV & CardDAV.
- Mobile WebMail interface
- Authentication & Encryption
- Multi-layer Access Control (firewall-like rules)
- SPF & DomainKeys Compliance
- Blacklisting / Whitelisting / Greylisting
- Country Filtering, DNS Checks & Blacklists
- Identity Confirmation System
- Message Acceptance / Sending Policies
- Anti-Impersonation & Password Expiration Policies
Zentyal, Linux Small Business Server
Zentyal Server is not only a mail server but more than that, it a full package of network management. It comes in two version commercial and community (also called development version). It is designed to meet the needs of small and medium businesses. Zentyal Server integrated Directory & Domain Server with native compatibility with Microsoft Active Directory, Mail Server with ActiveSync and webmail, Gateway with firewall and proxy, Infrastructure Server with DNS/DHCP server, Certification Authority and Virtual Private Networks.
Zentyal Server Features
- Directory & Domain Server -Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
- Support File sharing in Windows
- Mail Server with ActiveSync and webmail
- Supported protocols: SMTP, POP3, IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV, SIEVE
- Supported clients: Mozilla Thunderbird
- Gateway with firewall and proxy
- Synchronization to mobile devices via ActiveSync
- Multiple virtual mail domains
- Single Sign-On (SSO) authentication
- Management via Zentyal or Microsoft Active Directory
- Antivirus & Mail filter
- Infrastructure Server with DNS/DHCP server
- Certification Authority and Virtual Private Networks
- And more…
Citadel is another 100% Open source AJAX powered Groupware Platform. It provides “Web 2.0” interface along SMTP, IMAP, POP3 and GroupDAV access to its content. It is written in C and provides its own implementations of these server protocols: IMAP, POP3, SMTP, ManageSieve, XMPP, Citadel.
- Groupware- Addressbook, calendar/Scheduling, File storage, Notes, Tasks, Wiki, Blog, XMPP/Jabber
- Multiple domain support
- Group calendaring and scheduling (WebDAV, GroupDAV, and Kolab-1 compatible)
- Integrated server-side mail sorting and filtering.
- Server-to-server replication.
- OpenLDAP and Microsoft Active Directory
- SSL/TLS encryption for all protocols
- And Much More…
hMailServer is a free, open source, e-mail server. It is developed for Microsoft Windows servers and popular free Mail server that provide. It can work with any kind of webmail client systems those supports IMAP and SMTP. The most common used webmail systems used with the hMailServer are RoundCube and SquirrelMail which is offered by most of the Hosting providers such as GoDaddy.
The Installation of hMailserver is easy and it is GUI based rather than configuring the text files of a server. It provides web-based frontend and supports all common email protocols- IMAP, SMTP, and POP3.
- POP3, SMTP, IMAP
- Virtual domains
- Built-in backup
- SSL encryption
- Server-side rules
- MX backup
- SQL backend
- Web administration
Download hMailServer Free and Opensource Mail Server