Whatsapp is the one destination for the majority of people around the world for text messaging, video, or audio calling. It is very easy to use and you would find nearly any person you know on this platform to connect. But sometimes it gets very annoying if anyone adds you to different groups that are unnecessary to you and that might disturb you with multiple group chats in your chat list.
Life without Whatsapp would be very hard for us in the present world. We mainly use Whatsapp for messaging purposes and even for video or audio calls to other users from the contact list. We are dependent on this platform from our personal needs to our professional demands. There are other messaging apps available in the market but the popularity and user count of Whatsapp do not give us the chance of avoiding this service.
The application comes with many features and settings to maintain your profile according to your wish, need, and privacy. You set your account with these options and make it friendly for you to use. It also provides many privacy settings and options to secure your profile and the data within the application. You can block unwanted people or you can change your settings to who can see your status, last seen, etc. Even you can mute any particular chat if it is annoying you with messages all day that distracts you from your work and other things.
Similarly, anyone can create any group and add you to that group even you do not have his/her number saved in your contact list. If the person has your number, then that individual can text you, call you, or can add you to a group without your permission. You can leave any unwanted group but you have to do it every time when someone adds you to a group like this. Or, you can mute group chats but it will fill your chat list with so many texts.
So, the best way to avoid it would be to prevent anyone from adding you to a group without your permission. You can do that with a Whatsapp feature dedicated to this.
How to stop being added to WhatsApp groups
- Click your Whatsapp icon to open the application.
- Tap on the three dots that you can see on your screen on the top right.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Tap on the first option – Account.
- Then click on Privacy from the top.
- Go to Groups by scrolling down a little bit.
- There the Everyone option should be selected as default.
- Change it to My contacts if you want to prevent people apart from your contact list to add you in groups.
- Or select My contacts expect the option to select people from your contact list to prevent them from adding you to a group.
- You can select your entire contact list with the top right end option with a single tap to prevent them all.
- Make the changes and click on Done to complete.
Refer to the screenshot to get a visual idea for the above-given steps:
You can still get an invitation from any admin privately to join a group that does not add you directly to it. But then it will be in your hands to join any particular group according to your wish.