Nokia 2 First Impression Score
- Value For Money
- Performance (Experienced in Short time)
With a Brand value which Nokia has built in India and the offerings with Nokia 2 under the budget price, it can be digested easily. Nokia 2 surely works great in the offline market but if you talk about online space with the current configuration then Nokia 2 has to face a very tough competition from Xiaomi 4A. The Xiaomi at the same price has a better processor and 3GB RAM along with 32GB storage. However, with Nokia, you get stock Android with fast updates and brand value which is good as compare to Xiaomi phones.
In the mid of the year 2017, under the roof of HMD Global, the Nokia finally came back to home with a couple of Android smartphones and especially the neologistic one i.e Nokia 3310. Today at Gurugram- India, the Nokia has launched it budget segment smartphone Nokia 2 globally at the price of 99 Euro approx 7,465 INR.
At this price range, Xiaomi already has a rigid place in the Indian smartphone market and Nokia with a 4100mAh battery, 5-inch display, 8MP and 5MP cameras and Snapdragon 212 processor trying to make a room for its new Nokia 2.
If we can recall, the Nokia phones were associated with great battery life and joining the same trend the main USP of Nokia 2 is its 4,100mAh battery that the company claims will run for two full days, encased in a 6000 series aluminum body.
At the Launch event of HMD Nokia 2, we got a chance to play with the phone and here is our Nokia 2 Quick review.
Nokia 2 Display, Design and Body
The Nokia 2 is available in three colors and looks very distinct and unique as compared to other smartphone coming at this price point. The three color options are Pewter/Black, Pewter/White, and Copper/Black.
The Nokia 2 has visible thick bezels around the screen but still it not going to ruin your experience. The display size of Nokia 2 is 5-inch High Definition (HD) with a 1:1300 contrast ratio and on-screen navigation buttons. The space below the display is blank.
The Top bezel of the phone comprises the front camera, earpiece and NOKIA branding at the right side.
Coming to the right side of the Nokia 2 which holds the volume keys and power button. The left side of the is blank and plain. The phone grip is good and not slippery.
At the top of the phone, it has space for the 3.5mm headphone jack and noise cancellation mic. The visible antenna line which colored in contrast to body appeared at the top and bottom of the phone. For charging it packed with microUSB 2.0.
The back cover of the phone is removable and offers the space for Dual Nano SIM card and micrSD card (dedicated).
The back side of the phone is of polycarbonate and prone to smudges. The rear camera and flash placed upside down in one module. The speaker grill for audio output is given at the bottom extreme right. The center of the back shows the beautiful Nokia branding.
Nokia 2 Display
The Nokia 2 features a Gorilla Glass 3 protected 5-inch HD (720 x 1280p) resolution LTPS-LCD display. It is the entry-level budget smartphone we can’t expect much but this basic offering with protection glass is really good. The display comes with good viewing angles thanks to the LTPS LCD panel.
We used the phone and the display seems quite acceptable at the price point for both Indoor and Outdoor but the touch of the phone is not much responsive.
Nokia 2 Cameras
The Nokia 2 enables the photography by its 8MP rear camera with LED flash and for selfies, it uses the 5MP front-facing camera. The camera features Geo-tagging, Touch focus, and videos at 720p@30fps.
Note: We haven’t tested the camera completely yet and will update you with full Nokia camera test once we got the phone for review.
The images we captured during launch event and few daylight images are shown below which was captured by some NOKIA employee show that the camera performance is average. But this is not our final verdict until we fully reviewed the phone.
Few Nokia 2 Image Samples we have taken at the launch.
Hardware and Software performance
Under the back cover of the Nokia 2, the phone runs over SOC Snapdragon 212 quad-core processor with Adreno 304 GPU. For multitasking, it coupled with 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage that can expand up to 128GB using a dedicated microSD card slot. Earlier Nokia 3 was launched under the MediaTek processor but this time with Nokia 2 they have taken bit step further with basic but good configuration.
From the software point of the Nokia 2 is not behind any flagship phone as it offers the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat out-of-the-box and will surely upgrade Android 8.0 Oreo update. To make the phone blot and bug-free the Nokia use straight stock Android without any extra customized layer. With a Snapdragon 212 processor and 1GB RAM, the Nokia 2 handles basic tasks smoothly. But still, it meant for average users for moderate work. The thing disappointed us was the touch response of the phone.
Battery and Connectivity
Hmmm…. Nokia 2 battery which is the best part of the phone. The battery is of 4100mAh and can last long for 2 days as the company claimed in a single charge. And it is not a big thing for a phone to last long for approx two days at 4100mAh with basic configuration and stock Android. The basic connectivity options it provides are WiFi, Bluetooth, Micro USB, 3.5mm earphone jack, and GPS.
Pricing and availability
The Nokia 2 priced globally at 99 Euro and in India it sell at Rs. 7,465. The sale of Nokia 2 will go on Globally in the starting mid-November.
Nokia 2 Detailed Specifications and Features
- Device Type Smartphone
- Price 7400
- Model Nokia 2
- Released Oct 2017
- Type Design Type called form factor refers to a mobile phone's size, shape, and style as well as the layout and position of major components of phone. There are three major form factors seen in mobile phones => bar phones, folding phones and sliding phones.Bar
- Dimensions 143.5 x 71.3 x 9.3 mm
- Colors Pewter/Black, Pewter/White, Copper/Black
- Waterproof No
- Display Type Display Technology => A number of display technologies and types used in mobile phones => TFT (Thin Film Transistor), IPS (In-Place Switching), OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode), Super AMOLED (an even advanced version of AMOLED), Resistive Touchscreen (Resistive touchscreens contain two layer of conductive material with a very small gap between them which acts as a resistance), Capacitive Touchsceen (Capacitive touchscreen technology consists of a layer of glass coated with a transparent conductor)LTPS
- Size 5.0 inches
- Resolution 1280 x 720
- Display Colors Display Colors is refers to the number of different shades of colors that the screen is capable of displaying => 64K colors, 256K colors and 16 million colors, Obviously 16M is highest available range of colors and better than others.16M colors
- Pixel Density Pixel Density (PPI) is refers to the concentration of pixels on a particular display, measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Pixel density is calculated by dividing the diagonal pixel resolution of a display by its diagonal size, higher pixel density better display quality.294 ppi
- Touch Screen Multi touch Capacitive touchscreen
- Display Protection Display Protection => Gorilla Glass is a special alkali-aluminosilicate glass shield with exceptional damage resistance that helps protect mobile displays from scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use, It is always better to go for a smartphone with Gorilla Glass for that added protection and peace of mind.Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Primary Camera is able to capture photographs and usually videos, The most important characteristics of a camera are the resolution (measured in megapixels), lens focus type (fixed or automatic), higher megapixel cameras are known to capture higher quality photos, but not always a good measurement of the photos quality.8 MP
- Image 5 MP
- Video 720p@30fps
- Camera Features Geo-tagging, Touch focus,
- Flash Flash Light => There is commonly two types of flash lights are used in camera mobile phones, LED Flash (LED flash offers lower power consumption with drive circuitry that takes up very little room, LEDs can be strobed faster than any other light source), Xenon Flash (xenon flash produces an extremely intense full-spectrum white light for a very short duration)LED flash
- Secondary 5 MP
- Front flash No
- 2G Network Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network Yes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G Network Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
- SIM SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) is a small card that contains mobile network subscriber's account information. This allows the phone using the card to attach to a mobile network. The SIM card is most commonly associated with GSM and UMTS mobile networks. Moving a SIM card from one phone to another allows a subscriber to switch mobile phones without having to contact their mobile network carrier. SIM cards can also be used by a phone to store limited amounts of data, such as phone numbers and text messages.Nano-SIM + Nano SIM
- Dual SIM Yes
- GPRS GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is a packet oriented mobile data service on the 2G and 3G cellular communication system's global system for mobile communications (GSM), Generally, GPRS is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- EDGE EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment) is a wireless network technology generally considered the next step in the 2G network offers data transfer rates up to four times faster than ordinary GSM networks, Generally, EDGE is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- Speed HSPA, LTE
- Web Browser Web Browser => a web browser is a software application used to locate, retrieve and display content on the World Wide Web, including Web pages, images, video and other files, The primary function of a web browser is to render HTML, the code used to design or markup webpages.HTML5
- Operating System OS => Every computer system run on a base software called Operating System (OS). Operating System controls all basic operations of the computer (such as smartphone, PDAs, tablet computers and other handheld devices). The Operating System allows the user to install and run third party applications (apps), apps are used to add new functionality to the device.Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) upgrade to Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- User Interface UI or user interface of a device is the look and feel of the on-screen menu system. How it works, its color scheme, how it responds to button presses, all of these things are part of the user interface.Stock
- Chipset Chipset is a group of integrated circuits designed to perform one or a more dedicated functions, often with real time computing constraints, Popular smartphones are equipped with more advanced embedded chipsets that can do many different tasks depending on their programming.Qualcomm MSM8909v2 Snapdragon 212
- CPU CPU (Central Processing Unit) mostly known as processors, CPU processes instructions in order to carry out certain functions that make your device operate properly. Processors are often described as the brain of computers, smartphones and tablets, Smartphones and tablets rely on processors to carry out their every task, Processors are an incredibly important factor in selecting any type of computing device, including your smartphone.Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7
- GPU GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a single-chip processor designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display, This includes things such as lighting effects, object transformations, and 3D motion.Adreno 304
- RAM (Memory) RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of computer memory that can be accessed randomly, any byte of memory can be accessed without touching the preceding bytes that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations. RAM is the most common type of memory found in computer systems, smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.1 GB
- Internal Storage Internal Storage is a data storage space (flash memory) mostly used in smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices where operating system, apps, music, photos, videos, files and other user data Is stored.8 GB
- Card Slot Memory Card Slot is a special slot for inserting a memory card. Memory cards allow you to expand the phone's built-in memory, A memory card (sometimes called a flash memory card or a storage card) is a small storage medium used to store data such as text, pictures, audio, and video, for use on small, portable or remote computing devices such as mobile phones, mp3 players, digital cameras.microSD, up to 128 GB (dedicated slot)
- Sensors Sensors are electronic components that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment. The specific input could be light, heat, motion, moisture, pressure and location, The output is generally a signal that is converted to use in computing systems, a location sensor, such as a GPS receiver is able to detect current location of your electronic device.Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Bluetooth Bluetooth is a wireless communications technology for exchanging data between mobile phones, headsets, computers and other network devices over short distances without wires, Bluetooth technology was primarily designed to support simple wireless networking of personal consumer devices.Yes, 4.1, A2DP, LE
- Infrared Infrared connectivity is an old wireless technology used to connect two electronic devices. It uses a beam of infrared light to transmit information and so requires direct line of sight and operates only at close range.
- Wi-fi Wi-Fi is a popular wireless networking technology using radio waves to provide high-speed network connections that allows devices to communicate without cords or cables, Wi-Fi is increasingly becoming the preferred mode of internet connectivity all over the world.Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Wi-fi Hotspot
- USB microUSB 2.0
- GPS GPS The Global Positioning System is a satellite-based radio navigation system, GPS permits users to determine their position, velocity and the time 24 hours a day, in all weather, anywhere in the world, In order to locate your position, your device or GPS receiver must have a clear view of the sky.Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC NFC (Near field communication) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish peer-to-peer radio communications with each other by touching them together or bringing them into proximity, usually no more than a few inches.
- HDMI HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from a HDMI-compliant source device to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device.
- Headphone Jack Yes, 3.5mm
- Remote Control No
- SMS SMS (Short Messaging Service) is a text messaging service component of phone, Web, or mobile communication systems. It uses standardized communications protocols to allow mobile phone devices to exchange short text messages over the networks.Yes (threaded view)
- MMS MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) is a standard way to send messages that include multimedia content (audio clips, video clips and images) to and from mobile phones over wireless networks using the WAP protocol.
- Email Email (Electronic Mail) is a system for receiving, sending, and storing electronic messages, Similar to a letter, email is text messages that may contain files, images, or other attachments sent via the internet to a recipient by using applications and software prograps. An email address is required to receive email, and that address is unique to the user.Email + Push Email
- IM IM (Instant Messaging) is an exchange of text messages through a software application, it enable you to create a kind of private chat room with another individual in order to communicate in real time over the Internet.Yes
- Battery Type Battery Type => Cell phones run on various kinds of batteries depending on the manufacturer, phone size or shape and features. There are basically four types of cell phone batteries => Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride and Nickel Cadmium.Li-Ion (Lithium Ion)
- Capacity Battery Capacity is a measure (typically in Amp-hr) of the charge stored by the battery, and is determined by the mass of active material contained in the battery. The battery capacity represents the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from the battery under certain conditions.4100 mAh
- Placement Fixed, Non-removable
Price and Specifications Overview
- Opinion or other features The back of the Nokia 2 is removable and the front side is built of Plastic, the middle portion aluminum frame, and back is polycarbonate.