In any medical institutional, the billing software has equal importance as in some business because at the end of the day everybody needs money. So, to manage a hospital financial and administrative functions you need medical billing software. It not only helps to reduce the errors you get in billing tasks but also automate the process.
The Medical Billing software could perform multiple tasks such as electronic billing, insurance management and statement, reports on total cash flow, scheduling, appointments, patient management and more…
Generally, the healthcare providers hospitals, independent clinics, individual doctors, dentists want to reduce their maintenance cost while keep maintaining the quality given to the patients.
So, in order to control the costs, many healthcare organization keep looking for some best free and open source software programs to manage their billing and electronic medical records.
To help and save your time, we have here listed the best free and open source medical billing software those are available online and free to download.
Top and Best Available Free and Opens source Medical Billing Software
OpenEMR is an opensource electronic health record software written in PHP language and also offers medical billing solution. It is an ONC certified EHR solution and one of the best alternative to proprietary EHR software. OpenEMR is fully integrated with tools for EHR, scheduling, electronic billing and practice management for a medical practice.
It is a not a web-based software medical billing solution and needs to be installed using a LAMP. It can run on any system on any operating system whether it is Linux, Windows or MAC. Moreover, it can be installed on AWS cloud, Docker and also available as a virtual appliance. The software offers multiple language support and free forum support.The commercial support is available too.
OpenEMR has a long list of features but here we are mentioning only related to medical billing.
OpenEMR Medical Billing features:
- Accounts Receivable Interface
- It has flexible coding system some are CPT, HCPCS, ICD9, ICD10 and SNOMED code. One can add other codes too.
- It features the 5010 standards
- Customizable to work with a clearinghouse for automated 835 or ERA entry
- Support for electronic billing using ANSI X12 and paper claims
- Insurance Eligibility Queries and Tracking Interface
- Medical claim management interface
- EOB Entry Interface
PracticeSuite is a free medical billing software, well suited for small hospitals and medical offices if you are using its free subscription. This is cloud web-based medical software and offers three editions: Free. Plus and complete. The free edition comes with some limitation in the features and available only for 1 user and limited to limit one provider per organization.
Free subscription features:
- Supports any operating system as it needs an only web browser to run.
- Totally cloud-based
- Patient Scheduling
- Medical Billing & Collections
- Basic Practice Financial Reporting
- Unlimited Chat and Email Support
- Free HIPAA Office Starter Edition
- Free edition offers only 25 Electronic Claims per Month, Insurance Benefit Verifications, Email and Text
- Appointment Reminders
- Printed Paper Claims is also limited to 25/month
- Manage Cash Pay and Self Pay Patients
- Electronic ICD10 Billing Software
- HIPAA, HITECH, OMNIBUS, PCI, and 5010 Compliant
- Incremental Data backup in every 5 Minutes and daily full backup
- Unlimited Phone Support, Email, Instant Chat
It is also an opensource software EMR platform that offers a billing module to enable the bill creation and management. The downside is it not offer insurance information. Due to its modular design, it is easily customizable medical records system and can be a good option for developing countries where the insurance is not mandatory.
Its OpenHMIS Cashier Module is very simple and optimized for easy keyboard entry. The latest version while writing this article is v3.3 and includes following features:
- Bill management and adjustments
- Supports cash and credit card and can be configurable for other payment modes.
- Multiple payments per bill
- Receipt number generator can be configured according to the requirement.
- Basic time/shift tracking for cashiers
- Cash point management
- Cashier Reports Page
- OpenMRS 2 support for all the Cashier Pages
The FreeMED is another foss electronic medical record or practice Management System program that uses an external software called REMITT.
The REMITT is also an opensource package that takes care of billing and records of money sending. It has a web interface and shows its medical data in modules. You will not be going to get any technical support here so you have managed all by your self.
- HIPAA Complaint
- Printing system
- PDF form templating
- HL7 interface
- XML-RPC web services
- Modular framework which makes it extensible