On July 13th, the Intel has announced a new Intel Xeon E-2100 processor which is basically a successor of the Xeon E3 processor. The motive of Intel behind releasing this new processor is to provide a well-tuned performance to entry-level workstations along reliability and affordability.
“With today’s workloads, aging workstations impede productivity, collaboration, and creativity. The release of the Intel Xeon E processor is intended to deliver the essential performance and visuals for entry workstations, as well as optimizing the innovative form factors, designs and diverse requirements of our customers,” said by Jennifer Huffstetler, vice president, and general manager, data center product management, Intel Corporation
Now the important things which Intel New Xeon E processor features are
- Higher max turbo frequency
- Faster DRAM Speeds
- Enhanced I/O
- Advanced security and reliability features
- Intel UHD graphics (optional)
It offers 6-core processors for entry workstations in which it offers a combination of two additional cores and higher single-core turbo frequency. Which increased the performance of Xeon E as compared to the previous 4-core entry workstation processors. The Intel Xeon E processor also has Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory, to improve system stability, reduce data corruption and maximize data integrity.
Now, what are the fields where we can use the Intel Xeon processors; of course it used where we need workstations such as architecture, engineering, media and entertainment and financial services. The Intel Xeon E processor is the latest addition to Intel’s portfolio of workstation-optimized processors, which also includes Intel Xeon Scalable processors (dual-socket performance for workstation professionals), and Intel Xeon W processors (targeting mainstream workstations with a combination of performance, enhanced memory capabilities and hardware-enhanced security and reliability features).
Technical Specifications of Intel Xeon E-2100 processor
- Up to 6 cores and 12 threads
- Up to 4.7 GHz using Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
- Up to 64GB DDR4 ECC 2666MHz
- Available with Intel UHD Graphics 630 supporting 4K UHD with built-in HEVC 10-bit hardware acceleration
- delivers enhanced 4K media decoding and encoding
- Up to 30 lanes of PCIe for graphics, storage, and network expandability
- Support for USB* 3.1 and Thunderbolt technology
- Support for Intel Optane memory
- Intel vPro technology and enhanced Intel Software Guard Extensions
- Support for Intel Ethernet and Intel Wireless-AC networking