Asus has a vast range of both premium and budget smartphones and at regular intervals, they launch new models to cover the vast choices of peoples in a smartphone. The Asus Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL is a product that follows the same legacy of Asus to full fill the people demands. It is a third generation smartphone of the Asus Zenfone series. Asus is also no longer focused on budget phones, they are looking forward to captured the consumers those preferred phones like Apple, LG, and Samsung; the Asus Zenfone 3 Delux & ASUS Zenfone 3 ZE520KL is the proof of that. But right now here we have Asus Zenfone 3 Laser. A while ago we have reviewed Asus Zenfone 3 Max (review) which is known for its overall good features and battery backup. Asus Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL price in India is Rs 16,999.
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser Design and Body review
Asus Zenfone 3 Laser design is almost similar to Zenfone 3 Max, it flaunts a 5.5-inch IPS full HD display (1920x1080p) with 2.5D curved glass along Corning Gorilla Glass 3 on the front side. The bottom side of the display uses for capacitive touch navigation buttons while the above is same as the most of Asus phones: a camera, ear speaker, and sensor. Due to all metallic body, the look and feel of the Zenfone 3 Laser is premium. Asus has polished the body using the hyperfine sand-blasting technique to give its luxurious look and feel.
At the back side, there are two silver color antenna lines running across top and bottom. The rear camera protrudes from the back along dual LED flash and laser autofocus emitter. The fingerprint sensor is rear mounted just below the camera. The right side of the phone possesses power and volume button, while the left side is for hybrid SIM slot. The top features the 3.5mm audio jack while the bottom has a standard Micro-USB port and speaker grille.
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser Display review
Asus ZenFone 3 has IPS display panel that comes in 5.5-inches full-HD (1080×1920-pixel). The color it produces is same like other ASUS phone display panels which are vibrant and can reproduce colors really well. The brightness level is good including rich blacks. The phone has inbuilt feature through which you can adjust the color temperature. Text and images look crisp. The legibility of display under direct the Sunlight was decent and we didn’t have any trouble while using it outdoors. Even the viewing angle was great and three persons can easily share the screen to watch a movie, video, or any other multimedia content. Also like ZenFone 3 Max, the ZenFone 3 Laser features a blue light filter that could protect your eyes from glare. Overall the Zenfone 3 Laser’s display is good, crisp and bright, we don’t have a complaint with it.
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser Camera review
Asus’s PixelMaster 3.0 along Laser autofocus helps a lot in capturing the life moments quickly and easily. The phone packed with a 13MP f/2.0 camera at rear including laser autofocus. The images it captured are perfect for day to day usage or Instagram. The camera output in daylight condition produces decent quality images along vibrant contrast and quick autofocus. The images also show rich detailing and natural colors without any noise but the low light images were not impressed us much. On zooming the images we did find some noise & grains at the corners.
The front camera also clicks decent selfies and can enhance them using beautification feature. The interface of the camera app is easy and gives lots of options such as Super Resolution, Low-light, QR Code, Manual, HDR Pro, Beautification, Night, Depth of the field, Effect, Selfie, GIF animation, Panorama, Miniature, Time rewind, Slow motion, or Time Lapse. All these modes are common in Asus Zenfone 3 series and prove handy in mobile photography.
The camera laser autofocus is focused in just 0.03 seconds as the company claims, in reality, it is not that much fast but focused pretty fast and proves beneficial during close-up shots. The phone has electronic image stabilization (EIS) feature and can record 1080p videos.
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser Camera Samples
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser performance and Software: Great for handle daily tasks
To deliver the good performance the Asus ZenFone 3 Laser has an octa-core 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 processor clocked at 1.4GHz, with integrated Adreno 505 graphics and 4GB of LPDDR3 RAM. For storage, 32GB of built-in storage is there that can expand up to 128GB using external microSD card at hybrid SIM card slot.
If you talk about software part the Asus ZenFone 3 Laser runs on ZenUI 3.0 on the top Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The Zenfone 3 Laser software customization and features are similar to ZenFone 3 Max and you can read more about it in our review of the ZenFone 3 Max. There are lots of pre-installed apps on the phone some of them useful to you and some may be not such as Themes, Photo Collage, Mini Movie, ZenCircle, ZenSync, Weather, Do It Later, Game Genie, ZenFone Care, and Cover, Amazon Shopping, Saavn, TripAdvisor, Instagram, Amazon Kindle, and Facebook.
Although it does not use the most powerful processor but its simple hardware configuration is enough to handle the daily tasks. We hadn’t found any lag during our usage. Yes, if you are using it with lots of apps running in the background you may feel some sluggishness. The games like Asphalt 8, NFS runs smoothly without any glitches and heating issues. As it has the complete metal body you may notice slight warmness during charging, gaming, and video recording at 10180p.
Coming to its fingerprint sensor which is now become a common need for smartphone users. The scanner responds well and successfully unlocked our device 8 out of 10 times. The speakers are enough loud both ear and a music one.
The Asus ZenFone 3 Laser benchmark scores are:
- AnTuTu: 43,140
- Quadrant: 23,956
- GFXBench: 15fps
- 3D Mark Ice Storm Extreme: 5,570
Asus ZenFone 3 Laser Battery Review
The phone features a non-removable lithium ion 3000mAh battery that can go for more than 16 hours for a moderate user. The moderate users mean a person with few hours calling flow, the internet, photography, YouTube and social apps.
The phone is backed by a 3000 mAh battery that can last for a day with moderate usage, approx more than 16 hours. In our video loop test, it lasted for 5 hours and 14 minutes while playing video over YouTube with full brightness and sound. The ZenFone 3 Laser doesn;t support fast charging feature so you have to wait about 2 hours to get the fully charged phone.
If you are camera enthusiast and want some good camera phone at around 18000 then the Zenfone 3 Laser could be a good choice. But you can consider the Zenfone 3 Max with better battery and almost similar features. Also, if you consider the Zenfone 3 Laser price wise then it would be a little bit difficult for it to stand around Rs 20,000 for the current smartphone market.
Asus Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL Detailed Specs Information
- Device TypeSmartphone
- PriceRs 16,999
- ModelAsus Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL
- ReleasedAugust 2016
- Type Design Type called form factor refers to a mobile phone's size, shape, and style as well as the layout and position of major components of phone. There are three major form factors seen in mobile phones => bar phones, folding phones and sliding phones.Bar
- Dimensions149 x 76 x 7.9 mm
- Weight150 g
- ColorsSand Gold, Glacier Silver
- Display Type Display Technology => A number of display technologies and types used in mobile phones => TFT (Thin Film Transistor), IPS (In-Place Switching), OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode), Super AMOLED (an even advanced version of AMOLED), Resistive Touchscreen (Resistive touchscreens contain two layer of conductive material with a very small gap between them which acts as a resistance), Capacitive Touchsceen (Capacitive touchscreen technology consists of a layer of glass coated with a transparent conductor)IPS LCD
- Size5.5 inches
- Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels
- Display Colors Display Colors is refers to the number of different shades of colors that the screen is capable of displaying => 64K colors, 256K colors and 16 million colors, Obviously 16M is highest available range of colors and better than others.16M colors
- Pixel Density Pixel Density (PPI) is refers to the concentration of pixels on a particular display, measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Pixel density is calculated by dividing the diagonal pixel resolution of a display by its diagonal size, higher pixel density better display quality.401 ppi
- Touch ScreenYes, Multitouch
- Display Protection Display Protection => Gorilla Glass is a special alkali-aluminosilicate glass shield with exceptional damage resistance that helps protect mobile displays from scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use, It is always better to go for a smartphone with Gorilla Glass for that added protection and peace of mind.Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Primary Camera is able to capture photographs and usually videos, The most important characteristics of a camera are the resolution (measured in megapixels), lens focus type (fixed or automatic), higher megapixel cameras are known to capture higher quality photos, but not always a good measurement of the photos quality.13 MP
- Camera FeaturesLaser autofocus, 1/3" sensor size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile detection, panorama, HDR
- Flash Flash Light => There is commonly two types of flash lights are used in camera mobile phones, LED Flash (LED flash offers lower power consumption with drive circuitry that takes up very little room, LEDs can be strobed faster than any other light source), Xenon Flash (xenon flash produces an extremely intense full-spectrum white light for a very short duration)LED flash
- Secondary8 MP
- Front flashNo
- 2G NetworkYes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G NetworkYes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G NetworkYes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 18(800), 19(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500)
- SIM SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) is a small card that contains mobile network subscriber's account information. This allows the phone using the card to attach to a mobile network. The SIM card is most commonly associated with GSM and UMTS mobile networks. Moving a SIM card from one phone to another allows a subscriber to switch mobile phones without having to contact their mobile network carrier. SIM cards can also be used by a phone to store limited amounts of data, such as phone numbers and text messages.Micro-SIM+ Nano-SIM
- Dual SIMYes
- GPRS GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is a packet oriented mobile data service on the 2G and 3G cellular communication system's global system for mobile communications (GSM), Generally, GPRS is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- EDGE EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment) is a wireless network technology generally considered the next step in the 2G network offers data transfer rates up to four times faster than ordinary GSM networks, Generally, EDGE is used for the purpose of wireless data transfer, such as sharing pictures and videos or browsing the Internet via a mobile phone connection.
- SpeedHSPA, LTE
- Web Browser Web Browser => a web browser is a software application used to locate, retrieve and display content on the World Wide Web, including Web pages, images, video and other files, The primary function of a web browser is to render HTML, the code used to design or markup webpages.HTML5
- Operating System OS => Every computer system run on a base software called Operating System (OS). Operating System controls all basic operations of the computer (such as smartphone, PDAs, tablet computers and other handheld devices). The Operating System allows the user to install and run third party applications (apps), apps are used to add new functionality to the device.Android OS, v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- User Interface UI or user interface of a device is the look and feel of the on-screen menu system. How it works, its color scheme, how it responds to button presses, all of these things are part of the user interface.Asus ZenUI 3.0
- Chipset Chipset is a group of integrated circuits designed to perform one or a more dedicated functions, often with real time computing constraints, Popular smartphones are equipped with more advanced embedded chipsets that can do many different tasks depending on their programming.Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430
- CPU CPU (Central Processing Unit) mostly known as processors, CPU processes instructions in order to carry out certain functions that make your device operate properly. Processors are often described as the brain of computers, smartphones and tablets, Smartphones and tablets rely on processors to carry out their every task, Processors are an incredibly important factor in selecting any type of computing device, including your smartphone.Octa-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a single-chip processor designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display, This includes things such as lighting effects, object transformations, and 3D motion.Adreno 505
- RAM (Memory) RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of computer memory that can be accessed randomly, any byte of memory can be accessed without touching the preceding bytes that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations. RAM is the most common type of memory found in computer systems, smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.2 GB
- Internal Storage Internal Storage is a data storage space (flash memory) mostly used in smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices where operating system, apps, music, photos, videos, files and other user data Is stored.32 GB
- Card Slot Memory Card Slot is a special slot for inserting a memory card. Memory cards allow you to expand the phone's built-in memory, A memory card (sometimes called a flash memory card or a storage card) is a small storage medium used to store data such as text, pictures, audio, and video, for use on small, portable or remote computing devices such as mobile phones, mp3 players, digital cameras.microSD, up to 200 GB, Hybrid card slot on SIM 2
- Sensors Sensors are electronic components that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment. The specific input could be light, heat, motion, moisture, pressure and location, The output is generally a signal that is converted to use in computing systems, a location sensor, such as a GPS receiver is able to detect current location of your electronic device.Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Bluetooth Bluetooth is a wireless communications technology for exchanging data between mobile phones, headsets, computers and other network devices over short distances without wires, Bluetooth technology was primarily designed to support simple wireless networking of personal consumer devices.Yes, v4.2, A2DP, EDR, LE
- Infrared Infrared connectivity is an old wireless technology used to connect two electronic devices. It uses a beam of infrared light to transmit information and so requires direct line of sight and operates only at close range.
- Wi-fi Wi-Fi is a popular wireless networking technology using radio waves to provide high-speed network connections that allows devices to communicate without cords or cables, Wi-Fi is increasingly becoming the preferred mode of internet connectivity all over the world.Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-fi Hotspot
- USBmicroUSB v2.0
- GPS GPS The Global Positioning System is a satellite-based radio navigation system, GPS permits users to determine their position, velocity and the time 24 hours a day, in all weather, anywhere in the world, In order to locate your position, your device or GPS receiver must have a clear view of the sky.Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC NFC (Near field communication) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish peer-to-peer radio communications with each other by touching them together or bringing them into proximity, usually no more than a few inches.
- HDMI HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from a HDMI-compliant source device to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device.
- Headphone JackYes, 3.5mm
- Remote ControlNo
- Battery Type Battery Type => Cell phones run on various kinds of batteries depending on the manufacturer, phone size or shape and features. There are basically four types of cell phone batteries => Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride and Nickel Cadmium.Li-Ion (Lithium Ion)
- Capacity Battery Capacity is a measure (typically in Amp-hr) of the charge stored by the battery, and is determined by the mass of active material contained in the battery. The battery capacity represents the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from the battery under certain conditions.3000 mAh
- PlacementFixed, Non-removable
Price and Specifications Overview