Do you need to install an operating system on your computer? Then quickly grab a CD or DVD and burn the OS in it to install. Is that sound good? Nah, it is an old school trick. Now we just use a pen drive to create a bootable USB for installation of OS. We do not need any CD/DVD to install Windows or Linux on our laptops or PCs. Just a simple 4Gb or 8Gb USB drive, anyone can do this with little knowledge and the right tools in possession.
How to Make a Bootable USB?
- Take a pen drive.
- Mount it to your computer or laptop
- Download the ISO of the operating system you want to install.
- Install any of the below-given Pen drive bootable creators.
- Select the attached USB drive and Insert the ISO file.
- And start the flashing process to burn the file of the OS from the computer to your USB drive to produce a Bootable USB.
- Then simply restart the system to start the booting for OS installation.
So, in the context of the same here are some best free or open-source software to create the bootable USB.
Rufus- Open source USB bootable creator
I just cannot ignore Rufus when we talk about the bootable software to create a bootable USB. It should be top of the list for the nature it has. The open-source availability of it makes it an advantage for us to access Rufus freely and get the job done quickly. Another very useful point it brings to us is there is no need for its installation, being a portable bootable USB creator we can directly run it. The .exe file is enough to process the software. Users feel very comfortable using the services of it and it is very easy to handle. You can use Rufus to flash Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, and other OS on any USB drive or Memory Card. Download
Supported platforms to run: Windows only
- It is an open-source program with no need to spend a penny on it.
- Rufus has the features to support a verity of OS and BIOS
- While booting, the user will get a chance to customize it.
- The simplicity of it makes things easy to control.
Etcher- Free & Easy to Use
It is the new baby that created a mark in the sector of bootable USB and it made a quiet impression. It can wipe out many complicating problems while doing the task of creating the bootable USB. It just shortens the distance of the road to manage the process that needed a minimum time and effort to change it. The multi-platform acceptance is it’s one of the main USP. Download
Supported Platforms to run: Windows, Linux, macOS
- Etcher is very handy to implement.
- It has the feature of multi-platform support.
- Open-source access can make the day for you.
- It is very much new in the market so you can try this if you are looking for something new.
Universal USB Installer
This is another best bootable USB creator app with which users are familiar and many people use it when it comes to creating a bootable USB. Apart from a USB bootable drive, it is also can be used for making other drives like a rescue drive or security drive, and many more. The drop-down menu option is one of the main attributes in this software that we can use to choose an OS, even downloading of the same is possible from its interface, however, it makes difficulty level less for the consumers. Just like Rufus, you can also use it to flash various Linux and Windows OS. Download
Supported Platforms to run: Windows only
• It is most suitable for the users of Linux.
• It will support any OS.
• For Linux users, it will give the option to persistent storage that can be handled to view settings or backups.
• It can check bad blocks
• The customization option is available there.
Windows DVD/USB Tool
Windows DVD/USB Tool, the name is speaking clearly what it does and where it does. If you want to install OS for windows then the official tool of Microsoft is here to create a bootable USB. The functionality and operation are very friendly and you do not have to use your brain too much while working with this app. The burning process is next to nothing in terms of effort. It is just a one-click job done way after mounting the pen drive with your system. Apart from USB, it can also be used to create a bootable CD/DVD drive of Windows 10/8/7/Vista. The thing to be noted, it can’t be used for Linux or other operating systems. Download.
Supported Platform: Windows only
- The first thing you should remember that it is windows only. Thus, only works on windows.
- The customization option is limited in the app.
- It does not check for any bad block in the USB drive.
RMPrepUSB is one of the most customizable software for creating a USB bootloader. And because of the vast customizable feature, it is not easy to use for everyone apart from the people or professionals who have a good knowledge of it and know how to use it. So I strongly recommend avoiding it would be the best option for the people who do not have proper knowledge in that particular case. You can use it to convert the USB into a multiple USB bootable platform. The high customization option is very tricky and hard to learn but it also gives it some uniqueness to customize many of the things while using it. RMPrepUSB can be used to create both Linux and Windows bootable USB drives. Download
Supported Platforms to run: Windows only
- It can be used from the .exe that we can download for free.
- The software supports different OS channels
- The highly customizable option is available while creating the bootloader.
- Users have the advantage to use the QEMU Emulator to boot it quickly.
I would find many more apps to create a USB bootable device. I listed the best 5 options to select consisting of 4 popular apps and 1 (Etcher) horse in the market that is quite good to my knowledge. Nearly every person who uses a computer or laptop would need software like them to install an OS. We are just helping them to sort things out to save some time and energy.