balenaEtcher which also known as Etcher is a program to copy ISO files to USB sticks and SD cards to create bootable drives for various OS. It is a cross-platform tool that is available to download and install for Windows 7 or 10, macOS, Linux (due to AppImage, it supports all most all mainstream Linux distros such as Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL and more).
The interface of the tool is very easy to understand and any inexperienced user who hasn’t used bootable USB drive creator earlier can also operate it. The language it uses is English.
- balenaEtcher Ubuntu 20.04 Installation – Create bootable USB sticks and SD cards
balenaEtcher Ubuntu 20.04 Installation – Create bootable USB sticks and SD cards
The balenaEtcher installation is quick and easy. After the setup, the program can be run either from the Applications or using the command line interface, directly. The steps given here were carried out on the latest Ubuntu 20.04 LTS focal fossa, however, the users can use them on earlier versions such as Ubuntu 19.10/19.04, 18.10/18.04, 17.04/16.04 including Linux Mint, Zorin OS, Debian and Elementary OS.
Step 1: Open Command Terminal
Running command terminal is very simple on Ubuntu, either use the keyboard shortcut that is CTRL+ALT+T or go to Application and search Terminal.
Step 2: Add Etcher repository on Debian or Ubuntu
Here we are not using AppImage because the official repository of the balenaEtcher is available to add on our Debian based Linux systems. Just copy and paste the below command:
echo "deb https://deb.etcher.io stable etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/balena-etcher.list
In the above command, we are creating a separate list of repo under the sources.list.d directory. This will ensure that the file that used to incorporate the official repo links will be safe and intact.
Step 3: Add GPG key of Bintray
Bintray is universal software distribution service and perhaps distributes the balenaEtcher packages as well, thus our system needs to trust on it, for that we have to add its GPG key. This will ensure whatever the packages we are receiving are from the original source and didn’t alter by someone.
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61
Step 4: Run the system update command
Well, everything we need to get the Etcher USB stick bootable tool is at its place, now, run the system update command so, that it could flush t he APT cache and rebuild it again in order to recognize the added repo.
sudo apt update
Step 5: Install balenaEtcher on Ubuntu 20.04
Finally, run the command that will download and install the packages, we need to run this software
sudo apt-get install balena-etcher-electron
Step 6: How to use it on a system to create a bootable drive
As we know it is a cross-platform tool thus whatever steps we are going to show here will be common for all operating systems.
We can create a bootable USB stick in just a few steps:
- To flash a disk image, first, connect the pen drive to your system.
- Run balenaEtcher program.
- Select the desired image file, which can be in IMG or ISO formats or as a compressed ZIP file.
- Now, select the USB stick, the external hard drive or the memory card connected to your system. If you have only one connected device, the program will automatically select that. The internal hard drives installed on the system will now show on the Etcher software, hence, it prevents you from accidentally selecting the wrong drive and deleting it during the copying process.
- In the third step, you start the flash process by clicking on the Flash button.
- BalenaEtcher then checks the copied data for errors and issues a message if necessary. In this way, you can be sure that the image has been transferred to the data carrier without errors.
Uninstall balenaEtcher from Ubuntu
In future, if you don’t this software anymore on your system then simply remove it using the below:
Remove the application:
sudo apt-get remove balena-etcher-electron
Delete Etcher Repository:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/balena-etcher.list
Refresh the APT cache:
sudo apt-get update
So, these we the steps to handle all the balaneEtcher on Linux platforms…
- Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Instal Unetbootien on Ubuntu
- How to install XAMPP on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS